Diane struggles with finding happiness but for different reasons, but she always tries to help BoJack feel better about himself. When it comes to non-white characters in shows such as BoJack Horseman, it is important for the showrunners to realize they should be more accurately casting for the roles of said characters. Polling hours on Election Day: Varies by state/locality. BoJack is a character that provides a lot of insight into this problem: he is a wealthy actor who has experienced enormous success and fame, yet his demons drag him down and he can't seem to appreciate his position or find happiness in much of anything. You don't need an excuse to vote early. Send us a tip using our annonymous form. Brie's comments come amid announcements from other white actors who voice minority characters choosing to step away from their roles. Brie’s apology comes after “BoJack Horseman” creator Raphael Bob-Waksberg shared a lengthy Twitter thread on the logic of casting a white woman to play Diane and how he feels about the decision now. She voiced Diane Nguyen in BoJack Horseman as well as s… ©2020 Verizon Media. She voiced the Vietnamese-American ghostwriter for the entire run of the series, which premiered in 2014. Bell and her show’s creative team apologized and said they’d be recasting the role of Molly with “a Black or mixed race actress and give Molly a voice that resonates with all of the nuance and experiences of the character as we’ve drawn her.”, Slate also apologized and told fans that “ending my portrayal of Missy is one step in a life-long process of uncovering the racism in my actions.”, Your vote is your voice! Brie is best known for her starring roles as Annie Edison in the comedy series Community, and Trudy Campbell in the drama series Mad Men. It is part of us! The aforementioned TV show's cast also featured other talented actors such as Will Arnett as talking horse, BoJack Horseman, and Aaron Paul as his roommate, Todd Chavez. Alison Brie is the latest actor to apologize for portraying a person of color on a TV show or film. “I now understand that people of color should always voice people of color. Alison Brie Apologizes For Voicing Vietnamese Character On 'BoJack Horseman'. Matthew "Matt" Verrilli is a reader, writer, game-player, and recent graduate from the University of New Haven. More: Why Is Alison Brie In So Many Netflix Movies & TV Shows? Though the show was widely popular, the racial miscasting of Diane Nguyen did not sit well with some. Part of HuffPost Entertainment. In addition to saying that hiring Brie was a mistake, he wrote: “We should have hired a Vietnamese writer, and a Vietnamese actress to play Diane — or if not that, changed the character to match who we did hire.”, This is something I am happy to talk about! ): https://t.co/8mLehLoAHV, Bob-Waksberg concluded his thread about the character by saying, “The appearance of diversity without true diversity behind-the-scenes isn’t real representation; worse, it’s appropriation.”. People of color: The 37-year-old wrote: 'In hindsight, I wish that I didn't voice the character of Diane Nguyen. With the current state of the world, many people - especially non-minorities - are starting to realize the importance of accurately representing diverse communities in pop culture. But your state may let you vote during a designated early voting period. It's a good sign of progress that those who create and star in many of today's TV shows and movies are beginning to make the necessary changes, but there's still a lot of work to be done. Brie also acknowledged the fact that the show missed a great opportunity to represent the Vietnamese-American community "accurately and respectively," and she commends other voice actors who have taken a similar action in recent days. Here is one of mine. Dia Dipasupil / Getty Images Before Brie made this announcement on social media, BoJack Horseman's showrunner, Raphael Bob-Waksberg, also responded to questions on Twitter regarding the casting of the character. You will be redirected back to your article in, FX & ‘The Old Man’ Producers React To Jeff Bridges’ Lymphoma Diagnosis: “We Are All In This Together With You”, “Burn The Wardrobe”: ‘Smallville’ Cast Reminisce About Days On Set – New York Comic Con, “Use The Bathroom” Before Amazon’s ‘The Boys’ Season Finale – New York Comic Con, Facebook Watch Greenlights Taraji P. Henson Mental Health Talk Show, A post shared by Alison Brie (@alisonbrie), Channing Dungey Confirmed As Warner Bros Television Group Chairman; Will Succeed Peter Roth, Commission Will Mute Mics For Thursday Debate; Trump Team Protests Topics; More, FX And ‘Old Man’ Producers React To Lymphoma Diagnosis; Oscar Winner Says Prognosis “Good”, NY State Unveils Cinema Safety Guidelines For Friday Reopening; AMC Sets 25 Locations. 'We missed a great opportunity to represent the Vietnamese-American community accurately and respectfully, and for that I am truly sorry. Brie's character, Diane, was a ghostwriter for BoJack's autobiography which was being written to accomplish said goal. Harry Shearer has voiced the Black character Dr. Julius M. Hibbert.. Netflix’s BoJack Horseman ran for six seasons, ending on January 2020. All the latest gaming news, game reviews and trailers. Alison Brie has expressed regret supplying the voice for the Vietnamese American character Diane Nguyen in the Netflix series “BoJack Horseman,” which completed its … Découvrez comment nous utilisons vos informations dans notre Politique relative à la vie privée et notre Politique relative aux cookies.

Eagles 2012 Roster, Sai Cloud Support, Snake Game Offline, Alex Williamson Age, Horoscope Vierge Juin 2019, Mad Men Season 6 Episode 12, Fiction Books Set In New York,