I'm writing a quick review for this, because it was something I had very much looked forward to. Released to theaters in 1993, it told the story of the caped crusader taking on the mysterious Phantasm, who is killing mob bosses all over Gotham City with Batman taking the blame. It’s a strong piece of material and definitely one of the best Batman movies. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. They were also put under enormous pressure to finish the film in even less time than they had originally planned, which included finishing a lengthy and expensive opening credit sequence that swoops through a CGI version of Gotham City. Sad that they could not include any special features at all, well at least they have subtitles for us aged folks. The success of Batman: The Animated Series allowed its original creators, Eric Radomski and Bruce W. Timm, some room to experiment with the show in other formats, principally movies. This film just goes too quick and I don’t feel invested in Bruce/Batman. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. Contrast probably could have been slightly dialed up a couple of degrees, but overall brightness is satisfying. While it’s clear, when compared to the original print of the film, that much effort went into remastering the film, the remastering is far from perfect. One of the mobsters, Buzz Bronski, makes his escape only to be killed under Batman’s nose by a shadowy figure dressed like the Grim Reaper, the titular Phantasm, with Batman mistakenly blamed for the death and a city councilman, Arthur Reeves, lobbies for Batman’s arrest. Since watching the animated series over a year ago, this felt like an extended episode, just more “kind of” fleshed out. For Warner Archive’s Blu-ray presentation of the film, they’ve chosen to utilize both the originally intended open matte version, as well as the theatrical widescreen version. I understand that not all folks are going to agree with me on this, so here are some screen-caps to give you a better idea, in both widescreen and full frame. If I was reviewing the actual film, it would be an easy five out of five. Batman continues to investigate the murders, finding a picture of Andrea’s father with the dead mobsters, leading into another flashback where Bruce proposes to Andrea and then drops her off at home. Just received the blu-ray version of the film today. Try again. Despite one version being open matte, there’s still some additional information along the left and right edges in the widescreen version. The atmosphere and visual style is unique and perfect for this story. It is one of the many films that taught me something important about life. It’s as crisp an image as you’re going to get off of the original negative, and at least for me, it’s a satisfying presentation. As a consequence, any and all flaws are still present, including certain shots being slightly out of focus, and any imperfections in the glass plates during capture. Editor in Chief: The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used except with the prior written permission of The Digital Bits, Inc. All logos, images, names and trademarks are the property of the respective trademark owners. As you can see, it’s a very faithful presentation. One would assume that one day, Warner will get around to remastering the entirety of Batman: The Animated Series, and I hope that, given the massive undertaking that it would be, that the producers take the time and money to release something truly special, instead of what’s presented here. Synopsis (spoilers ahead): The film opens with Batman breaking up a counterfeit ring run. 1,150 global ratings | 626 global reviews, A great film with a less than great presentation, Reviewed in the United States on September 5, 2017. Every morning i get up and catch Batman the Animated Series before heading off to work. I know I might get flak for it but I would still prefer Nolan’s Batman Trilogy over this. Dialogue is always clean and clear and sound effects, while not flat, are not overly potent either. In speaking about the remastering, its actually very helpful that the filmmakers included the theatrical trailer as in comparing it to the finished film, you can see precisely how much work went into remastering the film. Watched this based on its reputation and being a Batman fan I thought I had to watch this and I wasn't let down this is up there as the best Batman animated film and is definitely involved in conversations on best Batman film, the animation holds up well despite its age the story is constantly evolving and has twists and turns and the action is top notch. 11 years after the Blu ray format was launched, Batman: The Animated Series FINALLY makes it debut in high-definition format with this release of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993), the first and only animated feature spin-off of the classic 1992-1995 Batman animated series. It's great. It’s a shame that Warner didn’t include more on the disc, as I’d love to watch a documentary on the making of the film. Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm is a triumph and is easily one of the best animated films of all time and the most accurate character portrayal of Batman we have seen on screen. Noise/Grain seem to kept in check with no strong DNR visible so details are not smudged out with DNR. By in large the film looks fantastic. The film was unfortunately a failure at the box office, despite gaining critical acclaim. That said, it’s certainly more organic-looking than anything on Blu-ray from Disney’s hand-drawn animated catalogue. The release is expected to arrive on the market later this summer. This is not an issue that was introduced in the Blu-Ray release. The film was unfortunately a failure at the box office, despite gaining critical acclaim. The success of Batman: The Animated Series allowed its original creators, Eric Radomski and Bruce W. Timm, some room to experiment with the show in other formats, principally movies. The story then moves to the World’s Fair grounds where one final flashback reveals that the Pre-Joker Thin Man murdered Andrea’s father and the Phantasm, Andrea in disguise, goes to murder the Joker. They did a great job on it and like all older things forced or redone into HD that were originally made in SD, you will notice certain things about the video easier than you would in the SD version on an older TV set. This is arguably the best that series ever looked AND for many fans it IS the best Batman film produced to date. Blu-ray reviews, news, specs, ratings, screenshots. Editor in Chief: The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used except with the prior written permission of The Digital Bits, Inc. All logos, images, names and trademarks are the property of the respective trademark owners. !if you are an old school cat like me and you love hand drawn cartoons,plus a good little story with amazing characters...this is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Overview: Batman hunts for a mysterious figure killing mobsters and remembers a life before he put on the cowl when an old flame returns to Gotham. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Despite one version being open matte, there’s still some additional information along the left and right edges in the widescreen version. Similarly, in the film itself the painted backgrounds seem more detailed and the colors are more vibrate. For Warner Archive’s Blu-ray presentation of the film, they’ve chosen to utilize both the originally intended open matte version, as well as the theatrical widescreen version. When the city’s most feared gangsters are systematically eliminated, the Caped Crusader is blamed. ©1997-2020 The Digital Bits, Inc. All rights reserved. We find out how Bruce Wayne started out being a vigilante and developed into Batman. In the present, Valestra goes to the now run-down World’s Fair grounds and meets with the Joker, offering to pay the Joker to kill Batman. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 13 July 2014. Bought the DVD version years ago. Warner Archive’s release of it probably won’t satisfy all fans, but for those of us who have wanted some of these titles in high definition for quite a while, it’s nice to finally have at least one of them. All of the trouble ended up being worth it though as Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is now considered both a cult classic and fan favorite. Contrast probably could have been slightly dialed up a couple of degrees, but overall brightness is satisfying. We use cookies and similar tools to enhance your shopping experience, to provide our services, understand how customers use our services so we can make improvements, and display ads. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. A pipe dream, but not totally out of the realm of possibility. Right up front, it should be clear that this is a new scan of the original negative, not the original animation cels. It is still one of my favorite Batman films of all time. The movie ends with Batman brooding on a rooftop when the Bat-Signal appears and as the theme music swells, Batman fires a grappling hook and swings off into the night. A pipe dream, but not totally out of the realm of possibility. It’s a strong piece of material and definitely one of the best Batman movies. Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy (4K UHD Review), Flintstones, The: The Complete Series (Blu-ray Review), World Is Full of Secrets, The (Blu-ray Review), Today on The Bits – Friday the 13th disc exchange program from, Heads-up: We've updated our review of the FRIDAY THE 13TH COLLECTION with information about, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Blu-ray Review). Batman: Mask of the Phantasm [DVD] [1993] [2005], Batman: The Complete Animated Series [Blu-ray] [1992], Batman: Animated Collection [Blu-ray] [2018] [2016] [Region Free], Batman Mask of the Phantasm/Batman & Mr. Reviewed in the United States on July 25, 2017. The Phantasm escapes only to run into Batman, and the two fight on the rooftops before police helicopters arrive and the Phantasm escapes. On the hunt from the cops, as well as trying to discover the Joker’s role in all of it, Batman must find a way to solve the riddle of Phantasm while at the same time reconciling a relationship tied to his dark past. If your looking for animated film truly worthy of the accolades bragged about by today's mediocre trailers and TV spots, start with BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM. How do you make an already perfect TV series even better? As you can see, it’s a very faithful presentation. They are not in abundance or bad at all, but you can't expect 100% digital perfection for an aged hand drawn animated release. And then there's Batman's way versus the Phantasm's way; dare to compare. ©1997-2020 The Digital Bits, Inc. All rights reserved. Animation is basically the same as the tv series. If you are a Batman fan, this movie is for you. Analysis: I think its fair to say that everything that can be said about this film has already been said, so in speaking about the actual film, I’ll be brief. That said, it’s certainly more organic-looking than anything on Blu-ray from Disney’s hand-drawn animated catalogue.

Liverpool Stats 2018/19, Jake Stringer Return, Sea Krait, Is Bumblebee Transformer A Girl Or Boy, Methods Of Study Of Political Science, Payment Api Integration, F Is For Family Goomer, San Diego Wind Forecast Map,