Dirty and disorganized desks are a recipe for disaster. (Photo: Getty). I write about management in its many forms. Between having more availability and removing toxic individuals from my life means that I can spend quality time with the people who really matter. When added up, that comes out to 2.5 days annually. “Your attention and effort is centralized; you are able to produce quality and efficient output.”. Simplicity provides many surprising benefits: 1. Eventually, you have a cluttered calendar. Here are the benefits of simplicity. Personally, when I choose a simple life, I felt less stressed, anxious, and rushed. All Rights Reserved, This is a BETA experience. Next thing you know, you’ve just spent 30-minutes trying to fund something to watch. That's not to say that a good manager shouldn't have an in-depth understanding of their own business... or be comfortable with solid quantitative methods... or be open to innovations. Isn’t it refreshing to look at your calendar this weekend and see that it’s not packed to the brim? In fact, research shows that solitude has a number of benefits including freedom, creativity, intimacy, and spirituality. Calendar harnesses the power of machine learning to give smart suggestions for when, where and how your meetings can take place. Instead of feeling like I always have to do something for others, I have the flexibility to live the life that I want. Research conducted from Pixie, a location app for iPhones, found that on average it takes roughly five minutes and twenty seconds of our time to locate misplaced items. Titled "Keep it Simple," it had this message: "Every generation of leaders thinks it's facing a new set of challenges that require new models of leadership. I always like reading Harvard Business Review's daily management tips, as they have a nice practical real-world feel to them. But, don’t take me word on this. With that in mind, when you simplify your life you have less stuff to lose. In short, simplicity motivates you to keep your workspace clean and organized. Obviously, that means you’re going to save time and money. Not surprisingly, we tend to like things that are at least somewhat close to our own way of thinking. Howie Jones in a previous Calendar suggests that when you clean up your online calendar, you should schedule some “me” time. You can still have a house or apartment and possessions, but by applying simplicity or perhaps choosing a smaller, or more affordable place, you could live within your means and not be tempted to go over-budget (which can cause stress and fear due to the pressures of having to consistently earn a high amount of money each month). You overcommit yourself. However, just imagine how much time you spend deciding on what to wear, eat, or work on? Simplicity assists you in creating clear goals, focusing on your actions, and getting more done. When your calendar contains fewer commitments and obligations that means you have more availability to attend your own self-care. If you are sick and tired of being sick and Mainly, saving time and money. But, I think it’s more beneficial to have a closer-knit group of people. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve begun to cherish these moments when I’m alone. For example, you want to kick back and relax after a hard week at work. That’s one estimate on how many decisions we make each day. And, it gives you a sense of order and freedom of space. Studies show that developing strong relationships can “fight illness and depression, speed recovery, slow aging, and prolong life.” And, as we get older, friendships are good for our brain’s health. Titled "Keep it Simple," it had this message: "Every generation of leaders thinks it's facing a new set of challenges that require new models of leadership. Have you ever had one of those days when you’re exhausted? Simplicity means we can put all our concentration on just one thing. As a result, you’ll be able to “cut down on the load of responsibilities you cram into a day and help you get some needed rest.”, “A strong work ethic is a valuable skill,” adds Howie. I’m talking about a closet jam-packed with clothes, kitchen drawers stuffed with junk, and a calendar bursting with meaningless entries. And, it gives you a sense of order and freedom of space. Or, you could let something that’s less important get in the way. Whether you call it minimalism, Kondo-ing, or simple living, there are certainly benefits to this type of lifestyle. I was re-reading some old ones recently when I came across a short one that especially spoke to me. 35,000. It gives me the chance to clear my head and realign my focus on what truly matters. Take time to understand your employees. 16 Good Habits of Happy and Successful People, 22 Best Habit Tracking Apps You Need in 2020, How to Break Bad Habits (The Only Effective Way), How to Break Bad Habits: I Broke 3 Bad Habits in Less Than 2 Months. Having the freedom to pursue God-given passions is truly amazing. When you embrace simplicity you don’t squander your time and energy on unnecessary thoughts and actions. And, from my experience, you’ll have fewer headaches as well since you no longer have to embark on a frantic scavenger hunt. And, somewhere in between all this, you have to send out emails, do laundry, and schedule a meeting with your team. Essentially, you’re accounting for every hour of the day — from the moment your alarm goes to when you fall asleep. I mean if something isn’t scheduled then you may be more likely to put it off. The reason? For most of us, it’s because we’re constantly being pulled into a million different directions. Fortunately, the benefits of simplicity by far outweigh the drawbacks. You wake-up and go to work. “There are people who 2,000 decisions per hour or one decision every two seconds, we do make a lot of decisions on a daily basis, Dirty and disorganized desks are a recipe for disaster, How to Master Your Calendar in 10 Minutes, 10 Daily Habits to Boost Your Productivity, Motivating From Afar: Helping Your Virtual Team Stay Energized. He’s also a keynote speaker that you can book at http://www.johnhallspeaking.com. And, because you must have your time accounted for, you don’t have room to slow down and self-reflect. These factors help in eliminating the clutter and stress produced by undefined goals or purpose. For instance, I schedule all of my meetings on Thursdays. 12 Ways to Get Back on Track When Things Don’t Work Out, Why Is Life So Hard? None of this is overly complicated, to be sure. An effective manager has a good grasp of fundamentals. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. For starters, the typical office desk hosts more than 10 million bacteria – which is 400 times dirtier than a toilet seat. You decide to treat yourself to a movie on Netflix. It may take a couple of hours. “But, not allowing yourself to take breaks can lead to mental illness and burnout.”. “When you are clear and focus on what you want to achieve, you can concentrate on producing quality work,” adds Macabasco. Finally, you’ll have the freedom to do whatever you please. One study even found that a messy desk can encourage a creative mind. Not until I focused on simplicity did the dream of becoming a writer come to fruition. And don't be afraid to make hard decisions when you have to. What made a good leader in the past is still what makes one today: being competent, caring, and benevolent. But, I strongly disagree. To be honest, this has been something that I’ve been working towards in the last couple of years. “There are people who sacrifice quality in exchange for quantity,” notes Lou Macabasco for Lifehack. I've long maintained that a great deal of effective management is simply common sense - but just because something is common sense doesn't mean it's commonly practiced. But being an effective manager is not about mastering mysterious and complicated methods. Stress can trigger migraines, colds and even auto-immune conditions. Founder and principal of Howling Wolf Management Training, LLC. It … Long interested as practitioner in the subject of management, both good and bad, effective and ineffective,…. And, that has given me more meaning and fulfillment. In the scheme of things that may not be a biggie. It was on the benefits of simplicity. Some people swear by a zero-based calendar. Instead of jumping back-and-forth between tasks, I group similar activities together. So fat, however, I have enjoyed the following perks. So, I decided to scale back. “In order to accommodate and accomplish more tasks, they tend to overlook some important process which leads to poor quality and error.”, And, that’s yet another reason you should embrace simplicity, it will make you more effective. Even if you have an hour to yourself, you can spend that time meditating or taking your dog for a long walk. Nearly a quarter century of Fortune 500 management experience. Simplicity means that we are focused on one thing at a time. Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. Set thoughtful, logical goals for them. 4 Things You Can Do About It, How to Deal With Loneliness During Holiday Season, Delegation of Authority: The Complete Guide for Effective Leaders, How to Be Successful Even When Others Don’t Think You Can Be, 5 Steps to Building Confidence That Is Unshakeable, A Complete Guide to Goal Setting for Personal Success, 4-Week Weight Loss Exercise Plan to Shed Pounds Fast, How to Find a Healthy Eating Plan That Actually Works for You, 15 Productivity-Boosting Weekend Habits Of Successful People, How to Use Deliberate Practice to Be Good at Almost Anything, How to Learn Effectively in the Age of Digital Distraction, How to Become a Morning Person: 8 Steps to Kickstart, How to Use the Learning Style Quiz to Accelerate Your Learning, How Long Does It Take to Learn a Language? Nearly a quarter century of Fortune 500 management experience. As a consequence, you’ll produce more quality work in less time. Always keep the lines of communication open, and spend adequate time on employee motivation and development. Sure they should. Your finances improve Keep your life simple, build a budget and stick to it faithfully. It’s beneficial to your health and output. Manage to those goals and hold your employees accountable for them. Long interested as practitioner in the subject of management, both good and bad, effective and ineffective, what works and what doesn't. In short, simplicity motivates you to keep your workspace clean and organized. Benefits of Simplicity in Personal Finance Less Stress It can be stressful to manage multiple accounts over multiple bank accounts. It’s beneficial to your health and output. You can read, journal, or take a nap if you please. In my opinion, it’s better than exhausting yourself with faiweather individuals. EY & Citi On The Importance Of Resilience And Innovation, Impact 50: Investors Seeking Profit — And Pushing For Change. John Hall is the co-founder of Calendar a scheduling and time management app. Over time, you’re going to run into decision fatigue which causes procrastination, avoidance, indecision, or impulsivity. Even if you aren’t familiar with the term, you may be living this lifestyle. But I'd go out on a limb and guess that if you're diligently doing all those things in the prior paragraph on a regular basis, you'll be successful in a management role.

Wedding Dresses For Second Marriage Over 40, Vail Resorts Management Company, Charlotte's Web Book, What Eats Toucans, Final Space Arachnitects, Arrowhead Canvas,