I am seriously cry-laughing over your commentary. Did they have different writers this episode? She’s lost weight and can barely swallow a bite of cake. The Nonnatus nurses must now contact social services as soon as the Irmsby child arrives and express any concerns if they feel Marion isn’t up to the task. And yet this never came up. It was sloppy and something of this nature deserves a more delicate, nuanced touch. McNulty is so easy on the eyes, I have to admit I have overlooked the more disjointed aspects of his story. Again, this feels really manufactured, like the show is just so determined to make it seem like they can’t cope. Especially at a point in time when disabled kids would be taken away from parents at birth and whisked away to “developmental centers” or state schools… it was a very backwards time in terms of how disabled people were treated. You may recall Elsie Dyer who went to prison for performing backstreet abortions last season. With a fitting amount of pageantry including a ribbon cutting by Violet Buckle armed with her ceremonial shears, the long-awaited incubator arrives at the Poplar maternity home. (On a completely frivolous note, I’d like to tip my hat to Marion’s adorable mid-century maternity style. I think we’ll hear more of this next week. True to her word, Marion’s sister reports her as an unfit mother even before the baby is born. And apparently McNulty’s so deeply into this addiction that he’s now stealing the injectable form from the locked medicine cupboard. Great. And whatever the backstory on how he injured his shoulder is, that should have been gently seeded too. The raw material seems as good as ever, but there are so many times when I find myself thinking, “Oh, that’s not how I would have written it. And finally, near the end of the episode, they sort of tossed in a few scenes about Valerie’s grandmother. Second, I’m pretty sure that, even in the 60’s, social services were too busy to just jump on a case like this. Telly Visions is a service of WETA and is supported by contributions from readers like you. Done!’ And Beryl, who’s been nothing but difficult and resistent and horrible instantly offers to be that help. Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox. Be sure to follow her on Twitter. There is absolutely nothing in Marion’s life that suggests she can’t cope with things. But everyone is really pushing this idea that Marion could very well lose her baby. Call the Midwife Series 9 Episode 7 of 8 Trixie helps a blind mother, Marion, care for her new baby, but trouble starts when Marion’s sister calls Social Services to intervene. If that’s losing his temper I have even more questions about how he ever got involved in anything aggressive enough to mess up his shoulder. Whatever. Beryl finally comes to accept her sister as an adult who requires some assistance rather than a child in need of protection. And I think it felt odd because it wasn’t good. Fortunately, Trixie arrives just then and attends to Marion’s cuts. There were things that came out of nowhere, both the mothers’ storylines were actually pretty offensive, and I finished up by just kind of blinking at the television, baffled. Beryl stops by to look on from afar and refuses to hold the kid. I’ve been bummed since seeing the season 9 finale that we have to wait so long for season 10, to see how things play out – now I’m sad that I have to wait just as long to read another cheeky recap of it. Stewart has returned and pleads with his wife to accept help, telling her it doesn’t mean they are bad parents. (Anyone else find this unsettlingly similar to the nail scene in A Quiet Place?). She has three kids (and man, I can barely manage with two, and I see just fine, so more power to you, lady!) Copyright © 2020 WETA. I don’t know why Beryl had to go balls to the wall and call up social services rather than attempt to find her help – maybe that was meant to illustrate the sibling dynamic, maybe she thought it would be the surest way to get help. She NEEDS HELP! If anything, she seems to be making Marion more anxious. Stewart says he looks forward to returning to work. Fun facts: she’s the first blind actor to appear on Doctor Who and she’s also a singer and songwriter! I don’t know how he can come back from not just being addicted to drugs but to stealing them, though. He was staying there with fellow doctors whom he’d clearly known for quite some time. Magical! Is this somehow related to his wavering self-confidence because he’s from a working-class background? I expect better from this show. It’s hefty stuff. We’d say in particular to keep watch on what happens with Valerie Dyer both in this episode and what happens after the fact. Feel free to disagree with me on this point, but I’m going to take a moment to question this story arc. Marion is expecting her first baby with her incredibly wonderful and loving husband, Stewart, and they’re both really excited. She gives birth to a lovely baby girl, Rosemary. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Trixie is her midwife and has very little reassurance to offer. This is an episode where there are some things happening within the Nonnatus community that are very much encouraging. And Phyllis, whom we already know and love: why is she suddenly so tired? Dr. Turner arrives on the scene just after Kevin has begun suturing so it seems to him that his protégé has everything under control. As I said earlier: I expect better from this show. Dr. Turner and Sister Frances promise not to tell Victor where she’s gone. I WAS LITERALLY CRYING AT THAT VISUAL. And what’s going on with Lucille and Cyril? I didn’t cry this time, which I’m rather thankful for. Hell, even kids who are being actively abused or neglected are often left in that situation far longer than they should be (sometimes permansently). They are commonplace now but I had no idea anyone would have been using diapers with snaps in the 60s. Trixie begins training Marion on the skills she’ll need to convince social services of her competence. But social services never even sent anyone around. There are some struggles that are going to surprise a lot of people and we’re going to still learn more about our relative newcomers — think along the lines of the doctors we’re just starting to get to know. Or maybe his shoulder got messed up because he didn’t get involved, he just stood there and got pounded. She’s also blind. Dr. and Mrs. Turner also take part in the ceremony which leaves Dr. McNulty to cover the surgery. Her roommate Nurse Anderson has noticed her lack of energy and sympathizes. Visit Penguin Random House’s website to find out where you can get a copy! They are the heartbeat that makes Poplar survive and there is still something exciting about watching them time and time again. I mean, that prostitute mum from a few weeks ago apparently kept getting her kids back, even though there was definitely abuse and neglect and generally terrible things going on there. After seeing this example of what a mother with a disability can do, Marion, Stewart and Beryl mend their differences and come together as a family for Rosemary. That’s all.). She fears her husband’s anger was provoked by McNulty losing his temper and she will be the one to pay. As the baby cries unconsolably, Marion has to walk across the broken glass to reach her child. Our other mum this week is Marion. Sister Frances leaves the room for towels and upon her return finds Kevin has opted for an episiotomy that has his patient in hysterics. The woman who wouldn’t even give her sister a chance. All Stirred Up is a modern-day retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, set in the oh-so-delicious Edinburgh restaurant scene. I like the character, but like you she seems to waver so much I can’t figure out where her head is. YES there is a lot missing there and the whole thing moved far too quickly. Yet, within all of the new faces and people who are featured on the series, remember that this is still a show about the nurses and nuns we’ve come to know for so many years. The person so certain her sister couldn’t manage life that she set social services on her pre-birth. He’s been living at Nonnatus this whole time. Marion and Stewart are adamant they don’t want strangers in their home judging them as parents. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site. Her POS husband shows up there one day, swaying and being really aggressive and prompting McNulty to raise his voice slightly, for which he later apologises to everyone for losing his temper. This was such a bad episode. Trixie, for some reason, suggests they get Beryl involved. Trixie manages to find another blind mother in Poplar. She shares practical tips like bells on shoes, nappies with snaps and all medicines labeled in Braille. Beryl’s so certain Marion will be a poor mother that she goes ahead and calls social services on her. Social services is just too busy, and there are too few foster homes for kids to be removed for ridiculous reasons. Everyone’s pressuring her to get this home help in, which is something I feel any new parent without family to help out should have, but they’ve never suggested that any other parent on this show have such a thing. But apparently he has those painkillers in his pocket because he’s popping them like breath mints to take care of a shoulder injury he got in med school. Fair enough since she and Cyril almost broke up over their lack of time together . Maybe Lucile is avoiding sexual advances? Which leads me to wonder: why the hell didn’t anyone go ahead and call social services about Yvonne and the POS, then? Beryl. Bathing practice doesn’t go smoothly and Trixie begins to question if Marion can safely care for her baby without substantial support. . Nope, she’s sure Marion can’t do a thing and certainly can’t care for a baby, and that just feels really odd to me. At the end of the episode, we see Kevin injecting himself with the narcotic from the stolen vial to illustrate just how desperate he’s become. With only one episode to go in Season 9, I suspect there will be some resolution to the Dr. McNulty and Elsie Dyer stories. Call the Midwife / S09E07 Season 9, Episode 7 | Aired on February 16, 2020 | TV-PG | 60 min. Because of her, I might point out? Why can’t we have more depth?”. 'Call the Midwife' Recap: Season 9 Episode 7 5/10/2020 in Drama by Carmen Croghan Dr. Turner (Stephne McGann), Shelagh Turner (Laura Main) and Violet Buckle (Annabelle Apsion) at the incubator ceremony (Photo Credit: Courtesy of BBC / Neal Street Productions)

Jeremy Finlayson Afl Tables, Godiva Glow Wrestling Age, Uy Scuti Vs Ton 618, Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Episode 1, Cricket Gender Pay Gap, Sean Griffin And Cush Jumbo, Bolivian Government Facts, Berlin Zoo Panda Cam, Gender Pay Gap In Sport, Endometriosis Pain All The Time, A Game Of Thrones Books,