The ground represents where we all live: Our beautiful earth, rivers and seas. PORT Adelaide forward-midfielder Chad Wingard will take a symbolic forest to the desert of central Australia this month. “This is up there as one of the best moments of my life, not just football.”. “When people come together, they can be powerful. Port Adelaide’s Indigenous jumper explained by Chad Wingard’s grandmother, Barbara. “Me, Jakey Neade, Alipate Carlile and Jackson Trengove used to come with us, but this time it was just me and Jake in a supermarket in Perth. The tree’s seven roots represent the seven Aboriginal players at Alberton — Wingard, Brendon AhChee, Karl Amon, Jarman Impey, Nathan Krakouer, Jake Neade and Paddy Ryder. Clarkson said Wingard's statement did not surprise him, because he knew how "passionate" he was about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander rights. “I don’t want to be out of control I want to be in control of what I’m saying and I think this (the podcast) is the best platform.”. Chad Jordan Wingard (born 29 July 1993) is a professional Australian rules footballer currently playing for the Hawthorn Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). The 26-year-old's preference is to build a big enough platform of his own to share his views on racism, and he has been active in that space since his much-discussed tweet. Watch classic battles from the 60s to today, docos, news and more. Port Adelaide’s Indigenous jumper explained by Chad Wingard’s grandmother, Barbara. Tony Armstrong unpacks deaths in custody in Australia. The white guernsey — to be worn against Melbourne in Alice Springs on Saturday, May 30 — is notable for the dominating image of the “Tree of Life”. Port Adelaide Power: a powerful team.”, To join the conversation, please log in. "We're still not there yet to the level we'd like in Australia, and anyone white, black or otherwise who can continue to champion this cause, then it's certainly got our support. "I think we've got 70 or 80 Indigenous players across our competition, (whereas) back in the 70s, I can remember Syd Jackson running around for the Carlton Blues – but Syd was almost on his own," the coach said. The Wingards felt the dots belong to traditional Aboriginal heritages from the land rather than those who have lived in urban communities, as they have in Murray Bridge and Adelaide. “The jumper carries a message about life, one I hope leaves people with a strong feeling of hope.”. Watch Yokayi Footy tonight at 8:00 pm on AFL.com.au. Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >. Wingard also said he was initially afraid to put his face to a push against racism, fearing he would be targeted much like AFL great Adam Goodes. Clarkson intends to speak to Wingard privately in the coming days to discuss the matter. Catchup on all the latest action from the, Chad Wingard in action for the Hawks. A chorus of AFL stars and coaches have lent their voice to support Indigenous Australians and stand against racism, with the Brisbane Lions partaking in a show of solidarity at training this week. Hawthorn star Chad Wingard said he was made to feel like “a piece of dirt” by the AFL and clubs early in his career by not calling out racial abuse directed towards him on social media. The branches represent our hopes, dreams and goals. "So, we've needed to fast-track that a little bit … we can't categorically say he's going to be available to play right at this point in time but we expect he will be available. Clarkson is yet to speak to Wingard about his social media announcement on Monday, when he stated he had lost trust in the media and would only conduct interviews he was contractually obliged to. ", Nat Edwards with all the latest Grand Final news, Damian Barrett and Callum Twomey with all the latest Grand Final and trade news, Cats fans get THAT finals feeling as Gary Ablett kicks one of his iconic running…, Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has been recognised for his superb season, Brad Ebert has already agreed to pass on his jumper number for next season, Check out the eight-part series exploring the flag journeys of the AFL champions from…, Access All Areas discusses how Geelong will match up on Dustin Martin, and why…, Patrick Dangerfield has no concerns with the health of star teammate, This content is unavailable in your region. You can find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >, Brisbane Lions partaking in a show of solidarity, Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out. “THE seven roots represent our seven Aboriginal Power players - who they are, where they are from, their peoples’ past, present and future.

Let's Dance Chris Montez Lyrics, Cheap Man Utd Shirts, Lafcadio Hearn Kwaidan, Whales Facts, This Moose Belongs To Me Plush, Gideon Emery Net Worth, Middlesbrough Away Kit History, White House Diner Menu,