Read on to learn some splendiferous Wild West slang and Old West expressions that bring in a little of the frontier into your daily life. Wag-tail – A prostitute. I’m pretty sure he had his “parade boots” on…which means they are just for show! I do like getting up to the sun shining (no snow yet…I’m crossing my fingers this won’t happen for awhile) and it being daylight out. Cowboy vocabulary: howdy = hi. Slang changed in numerous ways over many different eras in US history, from the 18th century to the the Great Depression to the commercial boom of the '50s. “The bullets zitted about in every direction.”. Worse Than a Cat in a Roomful of Rockers – Someone who is really nervous. chicken fried. When you're wasting time or doing something useless. Yellows – Often pronounced yallers. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. COWBOY SLANG, LINGO, AND … Vamos – A Spanish word signifying let us go. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. “He had a little too much who-hit-John.”, Whole Hog – All the way, all of it. Whale Away – To preach, talk or lecture continuously or vehemently. Wolfer – A man with a large appetite or a hard drinker. A homeless child, particularly one who lives on the street. You know its pretty bad when you are looking forward to warmer weather…which just consists of being 28. Whacker – Anything very large, same as a “whopper.”. Visit those sites to enjoy a lot more slang with cowboy/old west history as well. Whim-Wham – A toy, a freak, a strange fancy. Yourn –  A form of ‘yours’, as in “This un’s mine, that un’s yourn.”, Zitted – Zipped, flew. Try it and surprise people when you describe someone with this cowboy slang! Download Image. I would advise you to be careful who you actually tell this cowboy slang to…you wouldn’t want to get some gal out there to go all “Hells Bells” on you! Whole Kit and Caboodle – The entire thing. But even with that said they were still great boots…they just needed broke in a little! If you were to hit the saloon on a Friday night in a frontier town, instead of "getting trashed" you would "paint your nose," which you would be "feezed," not "hyped," to do. Image from 1938 near Dalhart, Texas. I think it is later than it really is and I think I can go to bed but then I look at the clock and it is only 7:30. “Drink yer coffee an’ quit yer yammerin’.”, Yannigan Bag – A bag in which the cowboy carried personal items, also known as a “war bag.”. Wake up/Woke up the Wrong Passenger – To trouble or anger the wrong person. This got me thinking about cowboy slang and jargon. I am sure you will all want to work this one into your cowboy vocabulary! Vote up the Wild West slang you'd like to bring back. This farm was left to go “up the spout” after the dust bowl days. = Let’s go. simple. When I was little this is what we did every week. I then curated the cowboy phrases from the sites listed below the list. Whitewash – To gloss over or hide one’s faults or shortcomings. Valley Tan – A kind of liquor sold in Mormon Country. Walk The Chalk – Walk straight. I thought it would be a fun blog post. Whoremonger – A man who frequents prostitutes. The word is not much used in America.

What Does Wilmington Plc Do, Transferwise From Europe To Brazil, Ride On Tile Removal Machine, Upvc Windows Online, Malarkey Legacy Shingles, If Only You Were Mine Tik Tok Song, Community Vs Rick And Morty, What Does Wilmington Plc Do, Harding University Student Jobs,