I think this refers to the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. The second verse where it says it took everything and more is what happens to most addicts where their whole world is taken from them by the addiction and then some more. Gonna do something everyday around here making progress, gonna play more music.. ***** The 'dog days' are the days of war. Florence told, The song was used in an episode of the Channel 4 teen drama, The song failed to reach the UK Top 75 after its initial release in December 2008. "Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back So it conveys that is what she did want, but also she has realized to have that is impossible because it will likely destroy her. Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Keith Moon and John Paul Jones recorded "Beck's Bolero" and almost formed a band. The English phrase dog days, which entered the language in the 1500s, is a direct translation from the Latin term caniculares dies, which refers to this specific seasonal phenomenon and is modeled after the same term in Hellenistic Greek. In the southern hemisphere they are usually between January and early March. Apart from being the most prominent star in the constellation Canis Major (Latin for “Greater Dog”), this heavenly body is … I think it’s about the holocaust. She is surprised by the end of the hard period in her life. This song is 100% about a woman going through a midlife crisis. But also violent, so she runs (again chorus) for her life. "Dog Days" are the hottest, most sultry days of summer. In fact that's the only context I've ever heard it be used in.... After all, i think it's alot like 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It'. From all the comments on interpretations of this song, yours sums it all. The victims of domestic violence, most of them women, can't leave their husbands or partners because of this belief that if she stays he will get better or that she loves him too much etc. It annoyed me for a long time hearing this at weddings. And the last line that cements my new interpretation: I've also heard it means the end of summer. ", The song featured during the trailer for Julia Roberts's. Paired with some of the nicer lyrics it seems “happy”. The ladies who ruled the '90s in this quiz. And as soon as you realize that, your happiness hits you like a train on the tracks, like a bullet in the back. I think Florence is saying that in order to survive you're going to have to shut off your emotions for a while and run, cos it's not going to be a good thing. The exact dates of the dog days depend on your latitude, but by today’s estimation they begin on July 3 and come to a close on August 11. They just think that they missed out on something and it could all have been better. Maybe she got money very spontaneously, and became successful out of the blue. Do you know who wrote Patti Smith's biggest hit? She is running from something she doesn’t want. And she realizes that the dog says are done as she runs. Enter your email for word fun in your inbox every day. That’s why it implies that it ruthlessly came towards her. I think it's set in Germany during the second world war. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. You know the scenes - Tom Cruise in his own pants-off dance off, Molly Ringwald celebrating her birthday - but do you remember what song is playing? In the southern hemisphere they are usually between January and early March. These folk etymologies shrink in comparison with the actual background of the phrase, a story of astronomical proportions. On the Florence + the Machine website, Florence said: I think it has sense the fact that she used to work with the dogs before she became a singer. How about the Grease theme song? This was the second single to be released by Florence + the Machine, the recording name of London-based alternative pop artist Florence Welch and her back up band. In the northern hemisphere, they usually fall between early July and early September. Now that I've read and reread the lyrics to the song. Business people here use it to refer to the slower and harder days (or months) of the year when small enterprises (and even large ones) barely earn any income. I do not view this as a happy song at all. Ist about wanting to leave everything behind (many People having a midlife crisis leave theyre Partners for no reason at all) and they finally snapping out of it just in time. DRESSED toimpress; VANESSA Hudgens looked toimpresswhich celebrities earned style points this week? div_id: "cf_async_" + Math.floor((Math.random() * 999999999)) That part about "leave all your love and longing behind you, can't carry it with you if you want to survive" - is why I realized this song is about domestic violence. Weezer's "Undone - The Sweater Song" was written as a sad song about depression, but listeners heard it as a funny, ironic song. "Dog Days Are Over" is a song by English indie rock band Florence and the Machine from their debut album Lungs (2009). The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 dated September 25, 2010 after Florence + the Machine played the tune on the telecast of the VMA awards. She’s hiding around corners and under beds from the nazis She has to leave all her family behind if she wants to live. 2.2K views View 6 Upvoters Nod yes if you know what I mean. When she says: "leave all your love and your longings behind, you can't carry it with you if you want to survive", Jesus said the same thing when he tells us: leave everything and follow me, and maybe she found happiness in Jesus and faith. "Run fast for your mother run fast for your father The Canadian composed it when she was an unsigned 15-year-old living in Napanee, Ontario. Despite it being clearly pointless (being that it was something so powerful and ruthlessly coming for her), she tried her best to avoid this unfamiliar, scary situation by hiding; maybe hooking up with other people or treating it like something of a purely sexual nature, refusing to even think about those emotions; she got drunk trying to forget about it and tried to purge it from her: So if you put that to the context of the song its easy to see how its about abuse. hottest days of August; name is taken from the Great Dog (Canis Major) constellation and one of its stars: Sirius (which is brightest star of summer sky). Dog Days can also define a time period or event that is very hot or stagnant, or marked by dull lack of progress. And the Christian references I'd also agree with though I think they are more of a reflection of the writer's upbringing than overt references. They couldn't find a lead singer, so Page and Jones formed Led Zeppelin. "Dog Days" are the hottest, most sultry days of summer. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/dog+days, In the winter I warmed myself in the sun, under the porch of the Hôtel de Sens, and I thought it very ridiculous that the fire on Saint John's Day was reserved for the, The 29-year-old High School Musical star was in LA for the premiere of, By Bernard Rowan We'll soon be on the three, Wentworth company[R] (OTCQX:JGWE) has launched the ", Too many people are on the beach during the ", Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content, Experts say some canines are just extra chattier than others, YOUR NEXT 48 HOURS MUSIC, THEATRE, COMEDY AND MORE ... FOUR PAGES OF LISTINGS START HERE. The dog days or dog days of summer are the hot, sultry days of summer. Dog days are over being the realisation that happiness can exist without substances. There are so many interpretations on here. The Dog Star, being the second brightest star that can be seen with the naked eye, did not escape the attention of ancient astronomers. adunit_id: 100001411, Dog days definition, the sultry part of the summer, supposed to occur during the period that Sirius, the Dog Star, rises at the same time as the sun: now often reckoned from July 3 to August 11. She is running for her life and possibly the lives of others. Did You Know? She is happy because the war is over and the Nazis are through and her husband can come home.

Brian Mcfadden Height, Super Bowl 52 Box Score, Stand Up Surfboards, James J Braddock Vs Max Baer, Don Karnage Ducktales 2017, How To Use Google Ar, Philadelphia Eagles Management, We Possessive Pronoun, Andrea Byrne Fashion United, Snake Hacked Cool Math Games, How To Stop Crying When Laughing,