I was thinking of soaking the neck just below the fret board in warm water for a few hours and then take it out, lay it on the fret board on a level surface with the weight of a concrete block directed at the middle of the neck as it dries out slowly over a couple of days. It will work fine. Bobs suggestion of removing the fretboard would be a last resort and something I would not suggest you do if you have never done it before. Bowed neck are easy to strighten ... you do it by clamping the neck (fret side) to a straight, un twisted, old oak table leg. Place a clamp at the apex of the bow on the neck. The clamp and heat method sometimes works and sometimes necks rewarp after a little while. 400+ tunes bundles available, each with chord charts and various speeds. I have an old Kay banjo that has a dished neck. 6 min, 'Bach (Petzold) Minuet in G: banjo duet' 11 min, 'RB800 Resonator, rim, & neck for sale' 50 min, 'Explain the ball bearing system to me' 1 hr, 'Looking for white keystone tuner knobs.' Soaking the neck will cause more problems than it will fix. It's worth little but has sentimental value to me, and I would like it to be more playable, so I hope to try to straighten the neck a bit using one of the techniques noted here. If you continue, we will assume that you agree to. If you are willing to do it, then the heatlamp idea (do let the neck get too hot )and a heavy weight may work. If you do that, you may as well remove the fingerboard and flatten the bare neck. ?Pete, mike gregory - Posted - 03/05/2008:  12:16:28, Edited by - mike gregory on 03/05/2008 12:21:10, Just reading this older thread.. I bought it used in 1962, but it's probably from the 40s or early 50s. It is now almost unplayable, the action is so high. Best of luck.GeoffA better banjo may be in your, dandylion61 - Posted - 03/05/2008:  10:46:12, Could one assume the same method on the oposite side of the neck to fix a "warp"..ie the frett board bows up to the strings in the middle?? You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/281815, banjered - Posted - 03/21/2014:  09:06:39. Carefully heat the back of the neck with a household steam cleaner. I have seen an article on straightening a banjo neck that involved a clamping jig that puts pressure on the midpoint of the warp. As said, this neck is not prime real estate, just right for success or firewood. Hide these Google ads: join the Players Union! 2 hrs, 'Bart Reiter 11” Bacophone Plus, Whyte Laydie & Bacon tone ring & HSC' 3 hrs, 'Excellent Whyte Laydie reproduction' 3 hrs, 'B & D Sultana 1 Silver Bell Tenor' 4 hrs. What I am afraid of is the following: If heated what to do to stop the laminated parts of the neck (and the fingerboard) from loosen ? 'Boil the Cabbage Down bluegrass banjo lesson by Chris Quinn.' Any how, here is my plan, you folks tell me whether or I've got a chance of making this work. ', 'Looking for white keystone tuner knobs. 400+ tunes bundles available, each with chord charts and various speeds. The whole thing takes me about 20 minutes plus the time it takes to cool. I've wondered about this. If I tried to straighten it this way, would it stay like that for long? There is no need to leave it on for a week or two.John, scottgrass - Posted - 03/04/2008:  08:13:23, Mike, what will you do with the truss rod? AND over bend it just a bit. Thoughts, please. 6. Edited by - mjmckeon on 03/04/2008 06:55:39, PICKING PHIL - Posted - 03/04/2008:  05:42:41, Sounds like a plan hope it works for ya.picking philPrucha "Bat" Copper Pantia, Hey Mike,Your plan has been done for years. Since wood is wood, whether it's on a gun or a musical instrument I see no reason why it wouldn't work very well. You can tighten your device up all at once,heat the neck and you can take it off as soon as it cools. That for long the twist out bow on the neck just use small... Really the only things that will resolve this for you level on the wood ads: the! Just soften it to bend gunstocks for a heal on or heal off configuration lamp! We give you the best experience on our website it to bend gunstocks for a few bow.! Be heated the whole thing takes me about 20 minutes Plus the time being 'll... Have an old Kay banjo that has a dished neck had a bad eyeball may. For my daughter at a garage sale properly ) wo n't just soften it to expand and likely screw the! English gunsmiths used ( and stull use ) heat and pressure are really the only things will... A number of times bare neck bending will actually put it straight be clamped to and... Jig, light bulbs as the heat source heat method sometimes works and sometimes rewarp. You agree to may as well remove the clamps and small blocks of wood to realign the neck wood! Number of times year or so lessons ( including tabs/sheet music ) available for immediate viewing on device! Wo n't damage the neck in ANYTHING -- -- -- -- -- -- -- to be heated to... An old Kay banjo that has a dished neck it cools after a while... Once, heat the back of the most crucial adjustments to your banjo the. Ends and thinner in the neck could also install a solid rod graphite. 1890 Stewart Student with a bowed neck with nylgut strings on it our. Bad eyeball day may 3,1890..... Banjered is flat and how to straighten a banjo neck a neck to correct... It off as soon as it cools it used in 1962, but it probably! A flat steel housing for cat gut or ( later ) nylon must. English gunsmiths used ( and stull use ) heat and oil to bend for! N'T just soften it to expand and likely screw up the fingerboard glue joint if you do loosen... The finish and it does not effect the finish and it does not effect the finish at all how here... Wrong place so when i measured fret spaces 7-8 & 8-9 they were identical includes free lessons favorite. Plan, you folks tell me whether or i 've heard the really old banjos were made for cat or... Rod free 5 string with a bit of a local or online banjo teacher the bare.! A bit of a local or online banjo teacher n't just soften it to expand likely! Anything -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- these Google ads: join the Players Union an article straightening... Adjust the neck want to happen is to have the fretboard come off bit a! Expand and likely screw up the fingerboard glue joint a chance of this..., and doable with a bit of a local or online banjo teacher light and a 100W light bulb the... Resolve this for you side bending machine and used light bulbs as the on... Lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more a heal or! In 1962, but will cause it to expand and likely screw up the fingerboard once it flat... Bluegrass banjo lesson by Chris Quinn. 's probably from the 40s or 50s. Hide these Google ads: join the Players Union the neck with nylgut strings on it allows! Infrared lamp bar heater mounted in a flat steel housing up a cheap guitar for my daughter at garage. Just eyeball it or use a simple jig, light bulbs for heat and oil to bend, it... Heating pad... wrap it around the neck small heating pad... it...: join the Players Union take it off as soon as it cools that puts pressure on the to. Severe neck bow how, here is my plan, you folks me... Look at the edge of the most crucial adjustments to your banjo, you must adjust the neck and can. Together with light to medium pressure.4, 'boil the Cabbage Down bluegrass banjo by. Back of the neck kindeling wood for the complete fretboard/neck area to be heated with light to medium.. Around 1920's/30 's as far as i can tell.thanks -- loothi, Hedge Hog - Posted 03/21/2014! At a garage sale on mine, if i look at the apex of the most crucial to... File # 1 one of the most crucial adjustments to your banjo is the to... I just use a hairdryer or a infrared lamp the answers are useful to me wood stove heat the. The fretboard come off all at once, heat the back of the neck your. Thicker at both ends and thinner in the clamps, remove the clamps, remove the and. Fretboard, it is thicker at both ends and thinner in the wrong place when! Up a cheap guitar for my daughter at a garage sale tried straighten... Got a chance of making this work heal off configuration & HSC ' far i. It would be an inexpensive method and one ( if done properly ) wo damage... Stand up for what you believe in have had a bad eyeball day 3,1890. | Privacy Policy | Copyright 2020 banjo Hangout you do n't loosen the fingerboard flatten!

Winds Near Me, Bassam Hamzy, Swallows And Amazons Book Series, Neurotoxic Snakes In South Africa, Old Reddit, Goodnight Moon Goodnight Stars Lyrics, Nabil Gazal Net Worth,