Although Google Analytics helps you to track which, UTM codes help to identify the specific links or ads where, your clicks and conversions are coming from, , and not just the website. Four Major Caching Types and Their Differences, The New Frontier of Online Accessibility: 508 Compliance Standards and What They Mean for You. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Interested in how the pandemic is changing the way we work, live, and interact? I consider event tracking as one of the first things to take care of, while implementing the tracking. If you’re responsible for creating and running digital marketing campaigns, you should know where most of your traffic is coming from. identifies the traffic source such as a Google My Business page, a newsletter, Facebook post, tweet, etc. It’s an older version of tracking code, and if you still use this version, I’d recommend upgrading to Universal Analytics. “I can’t recommend your team highly enough. In most cases, the global object should be “ga” (no quotes). Example: Email link in footer, /about-us/, registration form, etc. Determine which metrics are important and why. The component looks like this utm_term=houses+for+sale. Although Google Analytics helps you to track which websites your clicks/conversions are coming from, it doesn’t show you the specific links or ads that get clicked on. The next four fields are compulsory and form the core of your UTM code. Creating an account means you’re okay with GrowthHackers's. Each interaction is packaged into a hit and sent to Google’s servers. The simple guide: Google Analytics Event Tracking. #2 Use Google Tag Manager to track users’ interaction with the web page elements. Log into your Google Analytics account and click ‘Admin’ in the upper right hand side of the page. Place the URL or ad link you want to track into the field marked destination URL. You would not be required to have Google tag manager if you use the method above, you will just need to make sure you add the event tracking code in the proper place and based on which version of Google Analytics you are using. I’ll cut to the chase and let you know how I personally use event tracking the most for our clients: The cool thing is, you can track everything I mentioned above using pretty much the same method!