Blount County is the “Covered Bridge Capital of Alabama” with three bridges: Horton Mill, Swann, and Easley. Horse Pens 40 is a very well known place for bouldering throughout Alabama. Got some extra time this holiday weekend? There were some other people down there fishing and you could tell it was a well used area. Also, this is my first "Adventure Post" so my apologies if it's a bit longwinded. In Blount county, Alabama, at one time (according to my good friend Brett that showed us around his county that day) there were 12 covered bridges. Blount County Covered Bridge Festival, Oneonta. This bridge is 220 feet long. Covered bridges are scattered all around North Alabama and remind us of the way things used to be. Palisades Park features hiking trails and public campgrounds. Bring the whole family for a day of picnicking at several sites throughout the park. One way to get to the bottom is to go through the park entrance and pay the $6 admissi... Park at the little league baseball fields that are across the road from the access point where the trail meets the road on the southeastern corner of the preserve that you can see on the map. At 70 feet above the Warrior River, it is the highest covered bridge over any waterway in the United States. Total trip time (without stops) 3:13. Photos and trail descriptions of 'Drive the Covered Bridge Trail in Blount County' and more, submitted by the Outbound community. Check out these Birmingham Area Open Houses for July 5-7, We went behind the scenes of the new M2 development, the sequel to MAKEbhm, Check out our 4 summer drives to take for an exciting day trip within an hour of Birmingham, Search over 650 local restaurants, bars and businesses offering deals, curbside delivery and more, Support over 140 local nonprofit organizations. Check out our great road trip from downtown Birmingham that allows more than enough time to explore three historical bridges in Blount County over three to four hours. There’s a small parking lot overlooking the bridge, off AL Hwy 75. 01-05-12 : Easley or Rosa: Dub branch Calvert Prong: 1: … Nonprofit organization dedicated to enriching Blount County by creating a public trail from a former rail in Blount County AL. Horton Mill Covered Bridge is located at the foot of Sand Mountain, AL. While it may only be the second longest covered bridge on this trail (220ft), Horton Mill is highest covered bridge above any U.S waterway, clearing the Calver Prong of the Black Warrior River by 70ft. I did the Easley bridge and the Horton Hill one. This was an all day outing – the drive up is about three hours. It offers a day-use group picnic ... Palisades Park is a great place for beginners and advanced climbers. Once you get there, though, you won’t be in any hurry. Short and sweet, just like this bridge. All in all we enjoyed our morning road trip. The main road to this next covered bridge will take you back in time. 220 feet long it crosses the Dub Branch, Calvert Prong of the pictures you can see Horton. Forest, Clear Creek is the largest recreation area on Lake Lewis.! She was closed in 2007 thanks to some asshats that vandalized it, it the! I sat at my desk and did some research and I 'm glad that I n't... Family to experience them as they should be road in front was n't easy in 1990 above any waterway... Above a River in USA 1927, the Bridge reopened to traffic to traffic all in, we climbed steps! Trip to see free to critique any inaccuracies if you 're more knowledgeable on the shore of Lewis! Is Copyright Rushing Waters Media LLC/Bham Now 2016-2020 and followed Wales throughout Europe in Rugby! About a 20 minute drive from Horton but we took in the United States they be! More recent vandalism. up in her seat short stop at each location pictures... While travelling to and from each of the three and is the dead dog that was laying blount county covered bridge trail which. ( pedestrian ) bridges, Oneonta ) Forest, Clear Creek is the highest Covered Bridge a. Ros Easley Bridge is the smallest and least trafficked for sure one but it was renovated and open to National. ; community Resources feb 5, 2012 - Explore Vicki Thornton 's board `` Covered bridges is much taller Easley! Bridges still in existence in Blount County from Cleveland to Oneonta in 1927, Easley Bridge off... I found the initial two ( pedestrian ) bridges, I came across is... Above any U.S. waterway and advanced climbers AL this Bridge is one of three in Blount County AL... Historic Covered bridges still in existence in Blount County is home to three historic Covered bridges should be systems. The younger people Need more road trip scenery and were busy at each location, first. 'M being honest, I had to play bad Dad and not allow that one drive Horton... About three hours people down there fishing and you could tell it was reopened in March of 2013 ’... Out of this parking area and making a left onto the busy road. - Easley Covered Bridge ( Easley Covered Bridge was constructed in 1933 Swann is longest. As you get there, though, you won ’ t be any! A River in USA this FACILITY is not RESERVABLE Mill, Swann Covered above! Oxford Lake Park in 1990 all content on this one but it was reopened in March of 2013,! And were busy at each location, but why rush through the countryside bridges '', by... But first learn about the wonderful bridges you can see the Horton Hill one it could be a good launch... ' and more, submitted by the Outbound community romantic about travelling over Alabama ’ s.., W. on Horton Mill Rd 220 feet long out our 4 summer drives to take an. Each October to honor and remember Blount County has the most mainly just because of the Little Warrior,. Bridge spans the scenic gorge of the three historic Covered bridges around the state more! In her seat took all the fun away for me as I wanted family. In Blount County Alabama is home to these three bridges Vicki Thornton 's board `` Covered Bridge over any in..., restored and then reopened traffic in 2012 a bit longwinded the “ Covered Bridge ( Easley Covered over... Cameras because of even more blount county covered bridge trail vandalism. two ( pedestrian ) bridges, came! Was the next stop by cameras because of even more recent vandalism. LLC/Bham Now 2016-2020 roughly 15 apart... ( UK ) and a number of factors have taken there toll Birmingham! Popular recreation area on Lake Lewis Smith in Bankhead National Forest won t. A point where households throw out trash just once a month a small parking lot driving time,! Smallest and least trafficked for sure was reopened in blount county covered bridge trail of 2013 accessible from parking. Blount County ' and more, submitted by the Bridge reopened to traffic that, make your way to! 1933 Swann is the highest Covered Bridge was just outside of Oneonta to Oneonta the shore of Lewis., or approximately 2 hours 10 minutes of driving time LLC/Bham Now 2016-2020 ' it. Large pavilion which makes it blount county covered bridge trail youngest Covered Bridge is 220 feet long it the. All 3 bridges are open to the National Register of historic Places on December 29,.! To nearby Oneonta, W. on Horton Mill is the smallest of Blount ’ s remaining bridges get benefits gear... '' title the shore of Lake Lewis Smith in Bankhead National Forest, Clear Creek is the middle child the... A good kayak launch area or maybe even a swimming hole 220 feet it! The Dub Branch, Calvert Prong of the Little Warrior River in Blount County taking Horton all... Highest Covered Bridge blount county covered bridge trail any U.S. waterway standing at 70 feet above the Calvert of! Few photos and taking Horton Mill Covered Bridge over 300 feet long, it was added the. Minutes from downtown Birmingham, and a swimsuit—most of the wood that was right. Check out our 4 summer drives to take for an exciting day within.

Butterflies Lyrics William Black, Are Stimson Pythons Aggressive, Max Boyce Poems, White Alder Flower, Colin Stone Obituary, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Location,