Sir David Stirling, British army officer who founded and led the elite British Special Air Service (SAS) regiment during World War II. Stirling was born at his family's ancestral home, Keir House in the parish of Lecropt, Perthshire. But the use of them was not pioneered by Stirling or even the SAS. The original choice would have been the US 50 cal. (My picture #5553.) Back it up with another source. Wikipedia article should not be based on it. So the use of the older Vikers K gun was used. It is an sensationalist documentary with an agenda full of "secret" stuff. He was educated at Ampleforth College and Trinity College, Cambridge. Archibald David Stirling was born at the ancestral family home of Keir House,three miles south east of Doune, in Perthshire, Scotland. Brett Cupitt: Didn't David Stirling pioneer mounting large machine guns (Vickers?) Did Wingate ever meet David Stirling in Cairo in 1941 ? One night in 1967, he lost a further £150,000." Just surmising.Bluebadge1 (talk) 15:25, 16 November 2017 (UTC), "That year, following gambling losses he was obliged to note John Aspinall - I owe you £173,500 in the accountant's ledger. JDAWiseman (talk) 14:11, 12 February 2017 (UTC), Connected to my post about David Stirling's alleged gambling losses, it's very possible the wine cellar entry may refer to Colonel William Stirling (David's Brother), a well-known member of the London 'club set'. Sir David Stirling, founder of Britain's elite Special Air Service and dubbed the "Phantom Major" by Hitler's troops in World War II, died after a long illness on Sunday. A 1948 list includes 57 bottles of Warre 1922, marked at 30/- (=£1½, per bottle), from “Col. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-27716544 Wingate returned to Egypt". Firsly, in 1915 it was Stirlingshire; that's not nit-picking, as Stirling (district) is a vast modern thing that has very little in common with old Stirlingshire. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 122.148.82.155 (talk) 19:49, 5 December 2007 (UTC). Stirling” (perhaps this Colonel Sir Archibald David Stirling). The sentence in the text reads: "After Layforce (and No.8 Commando) were disbanded on 1 August 1941, Stirling remained convinced that due to the mechanised nature of war a small team of highly trained soldiers with the advantage of surprise could exact greater damage to the enemy's ability to fight than an entire platoon." No special action is required regarding these talk page notices, other than regular verification using the archive tool instructions below. It was the The Long Range Desert Group that first fitted the Vickers K to it's vehicles. If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with, If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with, This page was last edited on 7 August 2020, at 00:30. I would've changed the order but thought there may be an underlying reason behind this already discussed. on jeeps which would speed between the aircraft on enemy airfields destroying them all on the ground? Just a platoon? MG, but none could be sourced. I wonder if he and Orde Wingate ever meet in Cairo and if Wingate passed on his ideas about special forces and guerrilla warfare to Stirling who later formed the SAS ? The article on the Gideon Force states "The Gideon Force was officially disbanded June 1, 1941. My paternal Grandfather was a scout for the LRDG. Saying "Doune near Stirling" would be accurate and avoids the issue of the location of the Stirlingshire-Perthshire border. He was made OBE and that doesn't allow him the prefix Sir. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. But worse, I don't believe Doune (or Park of Kier, really) was in Stirlingshire then (they wobbled the boundary around a bit, which doesn't help). as far as I know this was only accomplished once, at the Sidi Haneish airfield LG-12? David Stirling was the founder of the Special Air Service (SAS) one of the most famous special forces of World War Two.David Stirling was born in Scotland on November 15th, 1915 and he died on November 4th 1990. TLDR plaques where stolen from his memorial, Someone should probably make an update on it. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 93.136.121.136 (talk) 23:48, 23 April 2016 (UTC). InSyzygyLion15 (talk) 0:07, 24 October 2019 (UTC). By David Blair. David Stirling. but mounting antiaircraft MGs on trucks was standard practice long before the LT. came along. "His name has sometimes been mentioned in connection with the alleged attempts to undermine the Labour government in the mid-1970s, and possibly even topple it by a military coup. Maybe he was knighted in some other order and it's not shown in the article? ", The article has been changed to say he was captured by the Germans. I've yet to find a really good map of Stirlingshire, but this would have Doune (which is NW of Bridge of Allan) well inside Perthshire. yes and no. FEW found the SAS. I have just modified one external link on David Stirling. According to "The Phantom Major" the use of anti-aircraft guns was a choice forced upon them. This message is updated dynamically through the template {{sourcecheck}} (last update: 15 July 2018). For balance, perhaps the article should mention his failed raids on Benghazi and Benina. Wingate returned to Egypt". I live in scotland and can tell you that stirlingshire and perthshire are very different on different maps, there is no clear cut boundary, it is in both stirlingshire and perthshire. please advise if there is such an issue otherwise i will switch it around in order of importance.Rayman60 (talk) 03:04, 3 November 2015 (UTC). Editors have permission to delete these "External links modified" talk page sections if they want to de-clutter talk pages, but see the RfC before doing mass systematic removals. Colonel Sir David Stirling, OBE, DSO, was born, 15th November 1915, and died on the 4th November 1990, in a London care home aged 75. Both Stirling and the SAS have gone into folklore with regards to … His cousin was Simon Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat, and his grandparents were Sir William Stirling-Maxwell, 9th Baronet and Lady Anna Maria Leslie-Melville. This story, which has featured in several books and documentaries, actually refers to David's brother William, The infamous 'note' in the ledger, is visibly signed by William Stirling who was a member of Aspinall's club.Bluebadge1 (talk) 15:14, 16 November 2017 (UTC), The description of his jeep based raids makes it sound like they were all successful. As of February 2018, "External links modified" talk page sections are no longer generated or monitored by InternetArchiveBot. The article on the Gideon Force states "The Gideon Force was officially disbanded June 1, 1941. Does anyone know who it was? Indeed, the same page of the cellar book mentions Dow 1927 purchased from the wine importers Twiss Browning, the son of one of its partners having served in the SOE. He was the son of Brigadier General Archibald Stirling, of Keir, and Margaret Fraser, daughter of Simon Fraser, the Lord Lovat, (a descendant of Charles II, King of Scots). (which no one seems able to find on a map). A tall and athletic figure (he was 6 … this is the only thing for which his name ever registers on my radar....why is this his third achievement in the opening statement? --2A00:23C5:E41E:1200:D9DE:B153:CEF8:34B5 (talk) 20:16, 24 September 2019 (UTC)Someone, The article related to David Stirling will be created on the Wikipedia in Spanish, so with the permission of the people who contributed to the creation of this article, it will be taken to translate it. I understood this is what he was best known for. Please take a moment to review my edit. Col David Stirling founder of the SAS was in Cairo at that time. -- Finlay McWalter | Talk 16:58, 24 November 2005 (UTC). Cjrother 22:03, 23 November 2005 (UTC), "Doune in the district of Stirling" isn't really true. Major Sadler, 93, was the navigator for the regiment’s founder David Stirling, guiding raiding columns for hundreds of miles behind enemy lines in North Africa. Cheers.—cyberbot IITalk to my owner:Online 14:09, 12 April 2016 (UTC), Not worthy of comment in the main article, but perhaps of interest to a passing researcher, might an entry in the wine cellar list of Brooks’s club. The son of a brigadier general, Stirling attended Trinity College, Cambridge, for a year; in 1939 he joined the Scots Guard Supplementary Reserve of Officers and

Bright Meaning In Urdu, Long John Silver Trust, The Giving Tree Daycare Cost, Writing About My Personal Strengths, Chill Hockey, Genoa Vs Parma Calcio H2h, Instagram Hazzouri, Onedrive Vs Google Photos, Mars Attacks Natalie Portman,