All comments containing links and certain keywords will be moderated before publication. This will be a great help to me . Subscribe now and I'll see you there soon, Download (right-click, Save-As) (Duration: 6:22 — 2.9MB), Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS. I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. Microsoft and CTA announced today that Microsoft services like Teams, Azure, and Power Platform will all be used to put together next year's show. X If checking this option increases risk of getting hacked, why is this set as default? ", "I accidentally closed my Explorer and didn't know how to restart it.". How to Find Internet Explorer in Windows 10, How to Unfreeze a Frozen Computer in Windows 10, How to Restore Files from File History in Windows 10, How to Select Files and Folders in Windows 10, How to Delete Files and Folders in Windows 10. Here's what we think. Menu → View → Choose Details → Width of selected column (in pixels) [for each column] → OK, then Menu → Tools → Folder Options → View → Apply to Folders. But if you prefer Internet Explorer, the old-timer is still around. If it doesn't, open the Task Manager, click the "File" menu, type. I keep a copy of my Personal documents in folders on my home and work computers and on my Flash Drive in a folder called Home. Instead, we recommend you install the new Microsoft Edge. However, in your further tips, you have me go into Explorer and then Tools and Folder Options to change settings. File Explorer in Windows 10 now opens by default in the 'Quick Access' view, which displays a user's recently accessed files and data and isn't very useful for Windows power users. Of course, I use the Windows Key + E shortcut... You kids know what a keyboard is, right? This article is about Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. In such a case, you just need to search for Internet Explorer in Windows 10 search bar and pin IE to the taskbar. (In case that doesn’t display correctly there’s a couple hundred spaces after the .JPG but before the .exe). You can unsubscribe at any time and we'll never share your details without your permission. Right-click on the Windows Explorer icon in your taskbar. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. On the work Windows XP computer the same Flash Drive annoyingly opens in List view, although I managed to get the XP My Documents folder to default to Details. REM Global tweaks: Tick checkbox ‘Also apply this template to all subfolders’. Reader Raghav writes in with a small, but useful tip: using AutoHotkey, you can re-map the Win+E…. Begin by changing the view to what you want it to be. FOR /F “tokens=7* delims=\” %%a IN (‘REG QUERY “HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList”‘) DO CALL :modkey %%a After 20 years of service, Internet Explorer finally hit its retirement plan with Windows 10. This article has been viewed 459,921 times. I just successfully did it for My Pictures, so it definitely can work for image folders. If you use Win+E to open Explorer, this trick won't work—but there are easy ways to change its default behavior too. Thanks a lot to the creator of this article. For example, it needed specialized coding to display websites created with older technology. REM Also modify it in the .DEFAULT hive so future users get it. doesn’t matter if it’s full of music, or videos, or pictures, or is a new drive you just setup, or is a usb drive, or a floppy disk, or is some fluffy cloud drive, it always, 100% of the time, will show you your files in Detail view. How to I get to Windows Explorer to display all my folders and files like I did withe XP? UNcheck this option. File Explorer (previously known as Windows Explorer in Windows versions prior to 8) defaults to show files as icons and to hiding some files from you. In those cases, our friends at the How-To Geek note that you can use the GUID of the location to make it work. Feel free to add your favorite additional tweaks. There are different folder types – My Pictures, primarily a folder for images, might be a different “type” than a plain old folder underneath your computer’s name in the left-hand pane. Great! technical support services. You can set the view to Details View as explained in the article. Thanks for marking this as the answer. To open Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10, in the search box on the taskbar, type Internet Explorer, and then s elect Internet Explorer in the list of results. One of the first things I do any time I get ahold of another computer is turn it off. Recently I developed a batch file that will fix it not only for the current user, but for ALL users, including .DEFAULT, so that any newly-created users will get it too. BTW, I run Win 7 and have a gripe about expanding folders. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Don’t forget “HKU\%1” to apply them to all users! I have the same question … official One typo, macine should be machine. Updated March 11, 2019: We checked this guide to ensure it's up to date for 2019. This thread is locked. You are right about an “autofit” option, but you can set the column widths in Windows 7, and probably other versions but I can’t try them. I recognized what a serious security hole “hide file extensions” was the first time I saw it (Win95, as I recall). Was able to navigate to wikiHow and learn this neat trick. Built in 1995, Internet Explorer carried plenty of baggage. For example, if you wanted it to open My Computer, you would change the target to: Google around to find the GUID of the special location you want to use, if necessary. If you'd rather have it open to a different folder, changing this behavior is very easy. EXIT /B 0. While restarting your computer will restart Explorer, a faster, more efficient method exists which consists of restarting the process. Malware authors may try to fool you by placing system files with names like “resume.doc.exe” on your machine. FOR /F “tokens=*” %%A IN (‘dir /B /A:DH “%ProfPath%\*” 2^>nul’) DO call :modlokey “%ProfPath%\%%~A”, REM Going to :eof here ends the whole batch file. If you love Windows 10 but need a slice of the old, Internet Explorer (IE) is still there for you. Put a checkmark in the box next to Internet Explorer 11, and click the OK button. This is my preferred view, and what I want to see as the default at all times. Microsoft started anew with Microsoft Edge, its speedy new browser. Now I understand the “Folders of this type” nonsense. This article has been viewed 459,921 times. But as far as I can tell, this can’t be applied to an entire drive, so it still isn’t the perfect solution. Many thanks. I just wish MS would take care of my pet peeve regarding Explorer folder defaults. Thanks for saving me a restart, or spending the day working desktop from task manager. @REM This section Copyright Jared Barneck We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Click ‘Apply’ button. Every time I see it I wonder what the programmers at Micro$oft SMOKING when they came up with that one. Apart from this, you may also find Internet Explorer browser missing or removed from the taskbar of your computer, in case it was upgraded to Windows 10 from an earlier versions of Windows operating system (Windows 7 or 8). So, follow Leo’s guidelines for PC security and remain ever vigilant, for the person poses the biggest threat to your computer, even if you’re pretty durn good with the things, is you. PAUSE Learn more... Windows Explorer, also known as the Windows Shell, is the graphical user interface (GUI) that renders the Windows Explorer file manager, desktop icons, taskbar, task switcher, and a few other elements. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Hi, Open File Explorer, either by right clicking on the Windows start menu1 and clicking on File Explorer, or holding down the Windows Key and typing E (for Explorer). technical support services. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d5\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-1-Version-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-1-Version-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d5\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-1-Version-5.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-1-Version-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":344,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"545","licensing":"

License: Fair Use<\/a> (screenshot)
\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2d\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-2-Version-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-2-Version-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2d\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-2-Version-5.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-2-Version-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":348,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"550","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6e\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-3-Version-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-3-Version-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6e\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-3-Version-5.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-3-Version-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":348,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"551","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/95\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-4-Version-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-4-Version-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/95\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-4-Version-5.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-4-Version-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":344,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"545","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/93\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-5-Version-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-5-Version-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/93\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-5-Version-5.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-5-Version-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":342,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"542","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/b\/b1\/WindowsFileExplorer.png","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b1\/WindowsFileExplorer.png\/30px-WindowsFileExplorer.png","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":460,"bigWidth":"30","bigHeight":"30","licensing":"

I edited this screenshot of a Windows icon.\n<\/p>

License: Fair Use<\/a>
\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/0a\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-6-Version-5.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-6-Version-5.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/0a\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-6-Version-5.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-6-Version-5.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":344,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"545","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/62\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-7-Version-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":344,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"545","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/cb\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-8-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-8-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/cb\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-8-Version-3.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-8-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":346,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"547","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/5c\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/5c\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/10\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-10-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-10-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/10\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-10-Version-2.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-10-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f0\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f0\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-11-Version-2.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-11-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":349,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"552","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/51\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/51\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":348,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"550","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c1\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-13-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-13-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c1\/Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-13-Version-2.jpg\/aid123507-v4-728px-Restart-Windows-Explorer-Without-Rebooting-Computer-Step-13-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":346,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"547","licensing":"