Like the Netflix show "13 Reasons Why", which was heavily criticised for glamorising a teenage character's suicide, we're shown a suicide attempt leading to a positive outcome. ‍♀️. The conflict between odious brother and damaged Ingrid is pretty compelling, but when things get dark they don't get dark enough to make this satire as savage as it could be. What this ending says to a young woman who feeds unhealthily off internet validation (an IV drip) and to anyone else who sees it: if you seek to provoke a virtual outpouring of love (if you want a way to feel less alone), documented and publicized self harm can help you reach your goal. She is a frightening character. Tim Brayton, our seasoned film critic, shares a more critical view of film, an appreciation for vintage cinema and perhaps limited-release movies that we might otherwise miss. Who’s going to tell Pence that flies have a bowel movement every 5 seconds? I’m quite surprised that not a single person has voiced concern about the movies shocking ending. We want to celebrate our different opinions, and celebrate yours as well. This is a place for people who can't get to the theater until the third week a film is out; a place for people who just want to find something great to stream online after the kids have gone to sleep, a place for people whose favorite pastime is to grab a bunch of classic films on DVD from the library and watch them all weekend. Besides there's something to be said about her getting those followers by being honest for once. It doesn’t matter. After Ingrid’s many failures to become liked on Instagram she breaks down feeling worthless and fake. What makes Alternate Ending different from other film sites and podcasts? This leads to public humiliation, bullying, dangerous dares, and has often resulted in death. Kids are willing to do anything to become Insta-famous. The connection and chemistry between characters is stinted by their own self obsessed egos, and the L.A. that Spicer built feels like an overly manufactured suburban utopia. I don’t think I have ever seen her do any other character–the girl can act, that’s for sure, as is evident at the end of the movie–it is almost as if directors just told her, “just do you, Aubrey.” But it works. It's a place that believes that every great movie is a wonderful new treasure, whether you see it the night of its premiere or fifty years later. In this scathing social media satire, Aubrey Plaza wipes the filter off the edifying artifice of stage-managed and carefully constructed online stars. The film’s ending – scored in bright, here-we-have-the-resolution notes – suggests that Ingrid’s suicide documentation saved the day as well as her life. I just feel like if you don’t have anyone to share everything with then what’s the point of living.” The Aubrey Plaza suicide scene is emotional. Maybe. O'Shea is such a charming and charismatic actor. Following the death of her mother and a series of self-inflicted setbacks, young Ingrid Thorburn escapes a humdrum existence by moving out West to befriend her Instagram obsession, a Los Angeles socialite named Taylor Sloane. Waking in hospital, she discovers the heartfelt video has finally made her an online sensation. feeling sad uwu: ingrid goes west's ending. Ingrid Goes West depicts a young woman, Ingrid, who develops an extreme fixation on an Instagram influencer. When I publicly called Spicer out on his reinforcing the effectiveness of attention-seeking self-harm, he responded that “the ending is meant to be ironic and/or tragic.” Tragic, of course, despite its bubbly scoring, the smiling nurse who reassures Ingrid she’s been met with an outpouring of love, and the earnest delivery of our romantic hero’s closer – “Your little video went viral” – followed by the audio of admiring Instagram comments in various languages. If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll. feeling sad uwu: ingrid goes west's ending. It's here that the film runs out of satirical steam. Ultimately, "Ingrid Goes West" is a fun look at a fairly specific type of social media superficiality, but the glib ending lets it down. I know there’s something wrong with me, but I don’t know to fix it and I don’t know hot to change. Boy Meets World star, Maitland Ward, now an adult entertainer. So, whether you are a parent or even just a social influencer yourself, responsible guardianship beats censorship any day of the week. After a quick bond is forged between these unlikeliest of buddies, the facade begins to crack in both women’s lives — with comically malicious results. Is it because Taylor is clearly just a fabricated persona? Ingrid Goes West (2017) - Alternate Ending : Alternate Ending. That’s right. He wrote and directed a believable story: believable characters, dialogue, and scenarios. Desperate to be like Taylor, Ingrid overhauls her personality and heads to the coast to hang out in her target's favourite boho boutiques and brunch spots. I don’t think I can change. When Ingrid moves to LA and manages to insinuate herself into the social media star's life, their relationship quickly goes from #BFF to #WTF. Cast : Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen, O'Shea Jackson Jr. Even if not sexually attracted to women, many women form romantic fixations on one another. The film is surprisingly well put together and the amazing cast carries the film even during its duller moments. By subscribing, you agree to the terms of our Privacy Statement. Elizabeth Olsen and Aubrey Plaza are #BFFs in "Ingrid Goes West". Sign up for the Thought Catalog Weekly and get the best stories from the week to your inbox every Friday. Taylor and Ingrid entertain their followers with Joan Didion quotes and Rihanna lyrics copied and pasted magpie-like beneath comically stage-managed selfies. Built around a brilliantly disarming performance from Aubrey Plaza, Ingrid Goes West is a savagely hilarious dark comedy that satirizes the modern world of social media and proves that being #perfect isn't all it's cracked up to be. Dedicated to your stories and ideas. "Ingrid Goes West" is in selected US theatres now, and screens at the London Film Festival on 7 October before opening in the UK on 17 November. 12/8/2018 0 Comments There's something to be said about the impact that popular media in general can have on you - it is the most commercial form of art, a dumping ground for original and not-so-original content, and if I'm being ungenerous, a cesspool that manages to overflow with toxicity while being simultaneously vacuous and shallow. The film cleverly makes a mockery of social influencers and other Insta-addicts. The world of social media is a dark one, and I think the film maker recognises that. Plaza is matched by a scene-stealing O'Shea Jackson Jr. -- who played his dad, Ice Cube, in "Straight Outta Compton" -- as Ingrid's Batman-obsessed landlord and possibly only real friend. >I wonder if I could possibly get away with calling, Alternate Ending was formed when three friends realized they all shared a passion for movies. Batteries Not Included: The CNET team shares experiences that remind us why tech stuff is cool. I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. She announces that the video represents her true self and hashtags it “#iamingrid.” She awakens in a hospital to learn that her hashtag has gone viral, with get-well gifts sent from fans who applaud the video’s honesty. This seems like a role written for the actress. We delete comments that violate our policy, which we encourage you to read. If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here. "Ingrid Goes West" isn't quite as superficial as the social media stars it satirises, but it doesn't say much new or insightful about them either. While these two topics are prominent throughout, the film also tackles the dangerous desire of internet fame and validation. Every single Batman reference was on point. Not at all. We then find out that her live suicide attempt had made her famous as ‘#IAMINGRID trended on Instagram. Submit your writing to be published on Thought Catalog. Matt Spicer’s debut feature film starring Aubrey Plaza, Ingrid Goes West , popped up on Netflix last week, and the ending is quite shocking. If you haven't seen the film, turn back now, because major #spoilers coming right up: "Ingrid Goes West" goes for social media satire. I think that's the best part. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Taylor Sloane is an Instagram-famous "influencer" whose perfectly curated, boho-chic lifestyle becomes Ingrid's latest obsession. Like she's obviously totally nuts but because of how well they fleshed her out and how well Aubrey played her I really wanted her to succeed in the end. Because of the publication, her romantic interest found her dying and rescued her. “I’m just a loser,” Ingrid says while broadcasting live to a small audience. Create your own unique website with customizable templates. If Ingrid's online redemption is meant to be a blackly comic twist -- she finally lets go of her quest for online validation, but in doing so finally achieves it -- then it's not a particularly savage satirical point. There're #nospoilers in this piece to start with, so it's safe to read on if you haven't seen the film. It is weird, fantastical, and out-of-the-box, but it is also true.”. Which is exactly what Océane Ebem did in May 2016, while people around the world watched live on Periscope, many of them encouraging her. Tech Culture: From film and television to social media and games, here's your place for the lighter side of tech. The colour pallette really helped emphasize the superficiality of everything. The story, on the other hand, may seem a little too familiar. That’s because it feels like a modernised adaptation of Single White Female and Mean Girls, and the director is aware of this as he makes references about those movies throughout the film. Aubrey Plaza, on the other hand, just plays herself. It’s quite disturbing and a very dangerous message to the misguided, social media addicted, depressed youth of today. (For the uninitiated, that's "fear of missing out.") Our goal is to save you time and money by sharing our thoughts and recommendations on which movies to race to theaters for, which to watch at home and those to actively avoid. There's something to be said about the impact that popular media in general can have on you - it is the most commercial form of art, a dumping ground for original and not-so-original content, and if I'm being ungenerous, a cesspool that manages to overflow with toxicity while being simultaneously vacuous and shallow. When Ingrid moves to LA and manages to insinuate herself into the social media star's life, their relationship quickly goes from #BFF to #WTF. Also. Still, despite borrowing from those classic, Ingrid Goes West still has its own unique identity. I did not find her sympathetic at all. I really enjoyed the film but did not find anything redeeming about Ingrid. Does it change the fact Spicer has, with Ingrid Goes West, sold jokes about symptoms of serious mental illness for money? I liked the film until the very end: a tragic ending in the full convincing guise of a valid resolution. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Paddington 2 is the Dark Knight of talking animal family movies. Obsessed with Instagram as her only source of human interaction, she begins the film trashing a wedding because she wasn't invited. That's because Spontaneous is honest. Ingrid is a great character, sympathetic and scary and always magnetic in her unpredictability. The first words of "Ingrid Goes West" are "Is this real? Show of hands who's excited for the reunion of The Sanderson Sisters - coming October 30th! Ingrid has achieved her dream of becoming Insta-famous and for the first time ever, she’s happy. Relatable. Also, at the Q&A I attended, Aubrey Plaza and Matt Spicer spoke about how she was really insistent that this not be a "Silver Lake movie" (which I took to mean gauzy and small-feeling).

Malarkey Legacy Shingles, Eladio Vuente Death, Citroen Berlingo 2016 Specs, Corian Countertops Dealers Near Me, Community Season 3 Episode 19 Dailymotion, Provia Doors Vs Andersen, Corian Countertops Dealers Near Me, Provia Doors Vs Andersen,