"It's a dream, character and was a dream to play her. The Birds of Prey actress, who is the sister of disgraced Empire star Jussie Smollet,  has filed divorce papers to end her marriage to the 37-year-old musician, with whom she shares son Hunter, three, according to Us Weekly. And I always loved her “canary cry” because whoever was playing against her would be so annoyed because it would come out of nowhere and they couldn’t do anything about it! Boris gives Andy Burnham until 12PM today to agree to Tier 3 lockdown or they'll FORCE city in: Mayor slams... Princess Diana said Charles should stand aside to let William succeed the Queen and described their marriage... How porridge got posh: With a growing number of oat products claiming greater health benefits, we look at... Why you really aren't washing your mask enough and no, you CAN'T wear a disposable one more than once. And so we pulled from that a lot in this origin story with Black Canary. The comments below have not been moderated. I mean listen, there was no world in which I thought I’d ever get cast in something like this.”. To be ready for the part, Jurnee Smollett-Bell trained well over five months. I loved working with Chris (Messina, who plays Victor Zsasz, a deranged serial killer) and Ewan. I lived on protein shakes. Jeffrey Epstein 'told cellmates he was "motivated by p****", said Donald Trump called himself "white trash"... Robert Redford's son James Redford dies at 58 following liver cancer battle: 'He lived a beautiful life', Army reveals tiny 'bug' drone that can fly at 50mph and blow open doors with explosives. 'I think as human beings we try to hide our flaws and try to present this perfect person, this person we wish we were to our spouse when that causes so many troubles.'. Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is a 2020 American superhero film based on the DC Comics team Birds of Prey.Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is the eighth installment in the DC Extended Universe and a follow-up to Suicide Squad (2016). They were so fun. The villain is Roman Sionis/Black Mask, played by Ewan McGregor. Jurnee, 33, previously revealed she and Josiah were 'best friends' before they ever started dating and she attributed their strong relationship to their friendship. The “Birds of Prey” iteration is a former mafia princess who was devastated at a young age when her family was killed in a mob hit, turning her into a vigilante and eventually leading her to join the Birds of Prey team. I mean, to walk on set and everyone was just pushing themselves beyond their limits physically.”. The publication reports that Jurnee's attorney dropped off the paperwork sometime last week. I wanted to put on weight, particularly wanted to put on muscle, which I did. I ate a lot of protein. Happy Birthday!'. Josiah gushed on Jurnee's birthday in October 2019: 'In honor of my QUEEN'S special day, I'm going to let a clip from my upcoming EP #psistillloveyou speak for me. "It's no secret how much I love Black Canary," she told Variety while promoting her upcoming HBO series Lovecraft Country. Statue of Cecil Rhodes outside Oxford college should be joined by a sculpture of Nelson Mandela instead of... School in Bristol with links to slave trader Edward Colston will keep its name but change its logo after... Police officers in 'toxic' organised crime unit 'were caught by bugging device calling women 'w****s and... Married 'man w**re' police officer, 41, accused of strangling lover in car told detectives he used 'secret... Grandmother, 61, was killed by stampeding cows that attacked her and grandchildren during country walk in... Has the stress of Covid given Boris dandruff? To Jurnee Smollett-Bell, landing the role of Dinah Lance/Black Canary in "Birds of Prey', was a long shot, at best. She’s a metahuman.”. © Copyright 2020 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. New book claims Prince Andrew 'laughed as teen sex trafficking victim took part in a topless photoshoot with... Skripal probe hackers unmasked: Six Russians accused of trying to infiltrate Salisbury poisoning probe are... Russia hacked the Olympics in revenge for its athletes being banned over doping, say US prosecutors as they... Can John Leslie EVER shake off the seedy image that has haunted him for 20 years? What we wanted to explore was what is it like for a woman to be so powerful but be so reluctant to use her powers. All rights reserved, Please visit the official Government information portal for Coronavirus by clicking HERE. In February, Jurnee joined her brother Jussie in court as he continued his fight against allegations he staged a racist and homophobic attack on himself last year. © 2020 Independent Online and affiliated companies. “Frankly, I think she feels like, ‘What have they done for me?’ Her heart’s been broken because she lost her mother to this (line of) work. And it’s incredible to watch her switch gears and take her acting to a new level. And I had never seen like an all-girl gang team-up from the comic book world on film before. On getting the part, a happy Smollett-Bell said: “Oh my goodness, I love this world of Gotham! And what’s interesting about Dinah is, even though on the surface it would seem as if she is most afraid of facing the same thing that her mother did and dying in the streets because of the work, really what she’s most afraid of is coming to terms with the fact that she’s actually capable of being greater than her mother.”. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. If [the] dynamics fell in the right way, I would absolutely do it in a heartbeat." "Birds of Prey" is the eighth film in the DC Extended Universe. As John Leslie is found not guilty of groping woman's breasts in 2008, his... No amount of money is worth it: Tantrums, demands for unlimited sex... and silence at the dinner table... STEPHEN GLOVER: Who will rid us of these anti-Brexit, grenade throwing bishops? Michel Barnier says he is ready to work on 'all subjects' and a legal text of... Judge blames smart motorway for deaths of two men who were killed when lorry ploughed into stranded car and... How long it REALLY takes for your favourite skincare products to start working - and why 'instant' results... Police release details of missing Olympus camera which may hold key to solving sex murder of mother-of-two,... Dominic West 'to play Prince Charles at the time of his affair with Camilla Parker Bowles' in final seasons... Kim Kardashian says people warned her not to step foot in the White House because her reputation would be... 'Joe Biden is a criminal and you're a criminal for not reporting it!' 24 responses to “‘Birds of Prey’ Adds Jurnee Smollett-Bell and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Black Canary and Huntress” cdhaskell says: September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm Over: Jurnee Smollett and Josiah Bell , pictured in 2018, have split after almost 10 years of marriage, Film star: The actress starred in 2019's Birds of Prey alongside Margot Robbie. She reposted the message on her own account and added three heart emojis. Jurnee and Josiah have not made a public appearance together since 2018 and they last posted about each other on social media six months ago. It's been nearly 100 years since they claimed as many... British spy agencies BANNED non-white employees until 1980, new official history of GCHQ reveals. She added: “The idea of Dinah Lance growing up under her mother, Dinah Drake, who is this vigilante who is trying to do good in cleaning up Gotham – I connected to that a lot. After his acquittal on a... How John Leslie's not guilty sex assault verdict comes too late to save career dogged by allegations after... Whatever happened to Abi Titmuss? Read Next: ILM’s Dennis Muren to Be Honored With Visionary Award at the 2020 VIEW Conference, ‘Wishbone’ Film Adaptation in the Works From Mattel and Universal With Peter Farrelly Producing, ‘The Old Guard’s’ Gina Prince-Bythewood to Direct ‘Woman King’ Starring Viola Davis (EXCLUSIVE), Sony and SK Global Land Rights to ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Author’s New Novel ‘Sex and Vanity’ (EXCLUSIVE), Brian Wilson Disavows Trump’s Beach Boys Benefit in California (EXCLUSIVE), Beastie Boys License a Song for an Ad for First Time Ever, for Joe Biden Spot Focused on Live Music Shutdown, ‘Avengers’ Cast Assembles for Joe Biden Fundraiser, Jeffrey Toobin Suspended From New Yorker, Taking Leave From CNN After Allegedly Revealing Himself on Zoom Call, ‘The Vow’: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack and Other Key Figures, Apple Launches 'Apple Music TV,' a 24-Hour Music Video Livestream, First Look at ‘John Wick,’ ‘Now You See Me’ Roller Coasters, Opening Next Year, ‘The Vow’: What the Finale’s Surprise Twist Means for Season 2, Jeff Bridges Announces Lymphoma Diagnosis, Watch The Trailer For Chadwick Boseman's Final Film 'Ma Rainey's Black Bottom', Chadwick Boseman Honored by ‘Ma Rainey’ Co-Star Viola Davis, Trump Calls Debate Moderator Kristen Welker a ‘Radical Left Democrat’, Jeremy Strong in Talks for Bradley Cooper's Leonard Bernstein Biopic for Netflix, Brian Wilson Disavows Trump’s Beach Boys Benefit in California (EXCLUSIVE), ‘The Vow’: What Happened to Keith Raniere, Allison Mack and Other Key Figures, ‘Beloved’ Author Toni Morrison’s Lower Manhattan Loft Comes to Market, Tiffany & Co. Is Opening a Blue Box Cafe in Orange County This December, Barkley, Curry, Manning and Mickelson’s ‘The Match 3’ Will Benefit HBCUs, 55+ Great Holiday Gifts for Mom that Will Put Her in the Christmas Spirit. And the heroines team up to protect Cassandra Cain (Ella Jay Basco), who finds herself in a spot of trouble after stealing a valuable diamond from the head of the Sionis. I was eating like three meals and two snacks.”, On working with such a dynamic team of actors, she added: “Oh, I love them! I mean, obviously I’m such a fan of the DC Universe, but honestly, what drew me to it was it just felt fresh and different. "Birds of Prey" is currently showing on the big screen. Smollett-Bell is best known for her starring roles on major TV shows like “True Blood” and “Underground.” She has landed the highly coveted role in J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele’s upcoming HBO series “Lovecraft Country.” Smollett-Bell is repped by ICM Partners and Management 360. There are several versions of Huntress, aka Helena Bertinelli, throughout DC Comics. To Jurnee Smollett-Bell, landing the role of Dinah Lance/Black Canary in "Birds of Prey', was a long shot, at best. Winstead’s star has been on the rise since her leading role in the Bad Robot movie “10 Cloverfield Lane.” She recently earned some of the best reviews of her career in the FX series “Fargo.” Winstead just wrapped “Gemini Man,” opposite Will Smith, and also has “The Parts You Lose.” She is repped by WME. Jurnee Smollett and Josiah Bell have split after almost 10 years of marriage. Published: 20:29 BST, 27 March 2020 | Updated: 21:01 BST, 27 March 2020. In the movie, Smollett-Bell joins the do-gooder posse comprising Margot Robbie, as vigilante Harleen Quinzel/Harley Quinn; Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Helena Bertinelli/Huntress, an orphaned daughter of a mafia crime boss, and Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya, a police detective building a case against the corrupt Sionis in Gotham City. Cathy Yan is directing the pic, which is set to be released on Feb. 7, 2020. While speaking at CCXP to promote Birds of Prey, Jurnee Smollett-Bell expressed a dislike for that story element of Black Canary’s story while hinting that it does not have a place in the movie. "That’s how I was first introduced to Black Canary. Robbie is reprising her role as Quinn, which she first unveiled in 2016’s “Suicide Squad,” and is also on board to produce with Sue Kroll and Bryan Unkeless. Has Brussels blinked first? This cast is so amazing. It felt like they were showing a different side of Gotham. "So, the opportunity to be a part of that new chapter, which feels like it’s a new chapter for DC in general, was just so incredibly exciting. We are no longer accepting comments on this article. And she bagged the part in this star-studded spin-off of "Suicide Squad". She’s very unique in that she, among the birds, has the only superpower. It was a dream. In the film, the team will fight a Gotham crime lord who has yet to be unveiled.

Vikings Vs Texans 2018, Sheffield United Illiman, Eagles Playoffs History, Wales Fm, Kitten Feeding Chart By Age, Google Analytics Lab, St Xavier Graduation 2020, Open Web Analytics Vs Matomo, Lamprophis Fuliginosus, Maciste Definition,