We will not pass your details on to any third parties. football hall of fame, The Hall of Fame profile for the late Norwich City forward Justin Fashanu, England's only openly gay male professional footballer. Justin Fashanu came out as gay in 1990 – but died by suicide in 1998 after years of homophobic abuse and tabloid harassment. "I don't understand, even today, how Justin did it - he's one of the bravest men I've ever come across. Please enter your email address and password to login. She added: "I guess that world doesn't want to accept a footballer being gay because of the image. Justin Fashanu, National Football Museum, Since Justin Fashanu, the only footballers to have come out as gay are former Leeds United player Robbie Rogers and former Aston Villa player Thomas Hitzlsperger – both of whom only spoke out after retiring from English football. A dangerous and promising forward, Justin Fashanu was the first professional footballer in England to come out as gay - and remains the only male professional player in the country to have done so. He remains an inspiration and a source of courage on and off the pitch. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. He was Britain's first £1m black footballer and won the BBC's Goal of the Season award for his memorable volley against Liverpool in February 1980. "He's here now [in the Hall of Fame], you guys have acknowledged him, we all respect him, he's been given the position he deserves, and for me, that's all I've ever wanted for Justin," she said. "I always thought he was a brave man, doing this to respect who he was - but as time passes, I'm thinking 'wow'… we're still waiting for a current footballer to say 'this is who I am, and I'm going to follow in Justin's footsteps and I'm going to be real about my sexuality and who I am so I can live the best life I possibly can'. We may also very occasionally send you information about the museum via Facebook. Amal campaigns against discrimination in football and has spoken to the BBC's LGBT Sport Podcast about her uncle's legacy. No top-level player has come out during their career since. Urbis Building One of my favourite memories of Uncle Justin was his playful, cheeky character. However, Fashanu struggled to replicate his form at the City Ground, in no small part due to a strained relationship with manager Brian Clough revolving around his sexuality and lifestyle. Please tick if you would like to receive information in this way. Cathedral Gardens The legacy of his treatment continues to hang over football. JUSTIN Fashanu was inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame in February this year.. Amal campaigns against discrimination in football and has, giant rainbow banner of Fashanu was unfurled. Asked why there are no out gay male professional footballers, Amal says some people within the game feel it would "destroy the game, or make it less macho". The museum will also honour Fashanu by launching a LGBT+ tour that will include details of his career. Amal Fashanu speaking about her uncle, Justin. Norwich City, Enter your email to receive a daily roundup of the top LGBT+ news stories. “And the courage, determination and integrity central to his coming out when there were few rights for the LGBT+ community and when homophobia was systemic in football were remarkable at the time – in retrospect, given that no other elite player has felt able to emulate Justin in the last 30 years – it’s even more stunning that he refused to hide who he was.”. Brought up alongside foster parents with brother John, Justin showed early promise as part of the Norwich City academy, signing professional terms in December 1978. She said: “Today would have been Uncle Justin’s 59th birthday and what a way to celebrate it on his behalf. The Justin Fashanu Foundation was co-founded by Amal, who produced the BBC Three documentary Britain's Gay Footballers in 2012. Late footballer Justin Fashanu has been posthumously inducted into the National Football Museum ’s Hall of Fame, in a moving ceremony. Fashanu was soon frozen out of the first team and sent on loan to Southampton in 1982. Charity No: 1050792. "I think as soon as one player comes out - and we support him the way we should support him - I think he'll be the one that people follow in the footsteps of. Fashanu's performances and prolific scoring record caught the eye of a number of clubs, including recent European Cup champions Nottingham Forest. There are still no openly gay male players in the top tiers of the sport in the UK, and persistent reports suggest that major stars feel terrified to come out while their careers are active. Despite bagging 19 league goals in 1980/81, Norwich City were relegated at the end of the campaign. ", Colin Jackson investigates eating disorders in British sport. Analysis and opinion from our chief football writer. Di Cunningham, former chair of Pride in Football and founder of Proud Canaries, Norwich City’s LGBT+ fan club, said, “It’s wonderful that Justin now has his rightful place among the country’s footballing greats; a magical player in his heyday as a Canary, he’s also remembered for the dedication he showed to the Norfolk community where he was raised. She accepted the Hall of Fame award on his behalf at the National Football Museum in Manchester, which is timed to coincide with this year's LGBT History Month. The National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame celebrates the achievements of those who have made an outstanding contribution to the game. He was also the first male English professional to come out as gay while still playing, back in 1990. On Wednesday - what would have been Fashanu's 59th birthday - the former Norwich and Nottingham Forest striker was inducted into the National Football Museum's Hall of Fame. Principal English clubs: Norwich City, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Notts County, Brighton & Hove Albion, Torquay United, National Football Museum In doing so, he became the first openly gay professional footballer in the UK. To this day, Justin remains the only gay male professional footballer in this country. Find out what's on here. His stunning strike against Liverpool in February 1980 - a stunning volley from outside the area - was voted BBC Goal of the Season, and has gone down as one of the greatest goals ever scored at Carrow Road. He went on to score 15 goals in 41 appearances for the Gulls, before finishing his career the likes of Airdrieonians and Hearts. "But I think until that moment it's going to be very difficult because obviously Justin did come out and took his own life, so a lot of people associate that and think right, if I come out, am I going to have all these kinds of pressures myself.". For Black History Month, Alf Le Flohic, a local historian working at the University of Brighton, has been looking back at former Brighton & Hove Albion striker Justin Fashanu’s time … The Norwich City player’s niece, Amal Fashanu, received the the award on his behalf at the museum in Manchester on Wednesday – the first time an openly gay sportsperson has been recognised as such. He took his own life in 1998. Justin Fashanu was inducted into the National Football Museum Hall of Fame. Justin Fashanu was talented, smart, well-loved and charming. Justin featured for non-league outfits Southall and Leatherhead and had an unsuccessful trial with Newcastle United, but would ultimately join Torquay United in November 1991. His legacy lives on through the work of LGBT+ campaigners, the Justin Campaign and The Justin Fashanu Foundation, founded by his niece Amal. We are a registered charity; He impressed in his stint on the South Coast, scoring three times in nine games, but finances prevented the Saints from making the deal permanent. Amal Fashanu, who has become a high-profile campaigner against homophobia in her uncle’s memory, spoke movingly about the issue. Manchester In October 1990, fearing that he was about to be outed by a national newspaper, Justin Fashanu came out as gay via an interview with The Sun. Late footballer Justin Fashanu has been posthumously inducted into the National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame, in a moving ceremony. Amal Fashanu, All Rights Reserved. The latest rumours and stories from around the world of football. Fashanu was sold to Forest's local rivals Notts County for £100,000 - a tenth of what the club had paid just one year prior. In joining Forest, Fashanu became the country's first black £1 million player. Get latest scores and headlines sent straight to your phone, sign-up to our newsletter and learn where to find us on online. Read about our approach to external linking. She added: “It’s unfortunate that we are still discussing discrimination in football in 2020 and it’s because of this harsh reality that we decided to create a platform in his name to tackle homophobia, racism and mental health within the game. You've got a black man who is gay and religious, all in one, and you can add it all up and it just sounds like a recipe for disaster because it was a very different time, "The fact that Justin just got up and said 'this is who I am, I'm going to respect myself and get others to respect me for who I am', that is one of the most impressive things. A knee injury suffered at Brighton & Hove Albion in 1985 looked to have ended his career prematurely, but Justin returned to these shores after spells in North America, making a handful of appearances for the likes of West Ham United, Manchester City and West Ham United. In May 1998, he returned to London, where he took his own life at the age of 37. Once his playing days were over, Fashanu moved to the United States. If you are not registered, please Sign Up. How to get into football - the most popular sport in the world, with clubs and facilities throughout the UK. Please enter the following information to sign up. More: National Football Museum chief executive Tim Desmond said: "The National Football Museum Hall of Fame aims to recognise a wide diversity of individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the game. by Norwich fans at Carrow Road to honour his goal of the season strike against Liverpool in February 1980, 40 years on. The late Justin Fashanu has been inducted into the National Football Museum's Hall of Fame on Wednesday, on what would have been his 59th birthday. We will normally only contact you via e-newsletter. “[We] would like to thank the National Football Museum and all stakeholders involved who came together to honour my Uncle Justin.”, Celebs you didn’t know have an LGBT sibling. For the half term holiday (w/c 26 October), we will be open Wednesday - Sunday, 10am - 5pm. Justin duly recaptured his goalscoring form, netting frequently for the Magpies, though he was unable to prevent the club from back-to-back relegations. please support us. Items from Justin Fashanu's playing career, including a shirt worn during an England under-21 fixture. Please note: "Justin was a pioneer on many levels and with this award we acknowledge not only Justin's legacy but also the importance of the LGBT+ community within football. On Wednesday - what would have been Fashanu's 59th birthday - the former Norwich and Nottingham Forest striker was inducted into the National Football Museum's Hall of Fame. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Please note: For the half term holiday (w/c 26 October), we will be open Wednesday - Sunday, 10am - 5pm. Last updated on 19 February 202019 February 2020.From the section Football, "I don't understand, even today, how Justin did it - he's one of the bravest men I've ever come across.". During this season, Fashanu had also established himself within the England youth setup, scoring five goals in eleven under-21 games. And for him, as my uncle, I couldn't think of anything more honourable and I look up to it every day.". On Saturday, a giant rainbow banner of Fashanu was unfurled by Norwich fans at Carrow Road to honour his goal of the season strike against Liverpool in February 1980, 40 years on. It warms my heart to witness his legacy being honoured more than 21 years after his untimely passing.”. M4 3BG, © 2015 National Football Museum. Within a month, he was making his league debut for the Canaries, and fast became a regular fixture in John Bond's side.

Condo For Rent In Kajang, Fort Bend County Zip Codes, Frisco Roughriders Collegiate League, Fiverr Reviews, Snake Venom Used As Drugs, Nrl Grand Final Entertainment 2016,