It’s also not uncommon for crews to close down the pass for avalanche mitigation efforts. From Crested Butte, take CO-12 (Whiterock Avenue) west out of town. Moving to an above treeline southerly facing slope that didn’t have wind-loading, the HS jumped up dramatically, but the end result was the same mid-pack persistent slab set up. One large debris pile on the upper bench of East Bowl near Ohio Pass. Photo Credit: HABY (iStock). Road crews work hard to keep this road as open as possible throughout the entire year, including the winter months. Photo Credit: welcomia (iStock). Weather Ahead Buy a pass, get the best access. Stephanie Butzer/Denver7. CO-12 climbs up and over Kebler Pass before intersecting with Highway 133. View of the Rocky Mountains from the top of Cottonwood Pass in Colorado. Sure, there are some classic leaf-peeping spots that just beg to be enjoyed from the comfort of your car—like Kebler Pass, Independence Pass, and the aptly named Million Dollar Highway. As snow piles, safety closures for harsh winter conditions, multiple crashes, limited visibility, and avalanche mitigation are known to follow. Subject: Kebler Pass Check The route is flanked by a number of runaway ramps for truckers that lose control, often a result of brakes overheating or excessive downhill speed. Photo Credit: aimintang (iStock). Until next year…, Best Fall Drives Heavy snow and strong winds pound the road, creating limited visibilities that can result in temporary shuts down of the 9,997-foot mountain pass. Kebler Pass links with Highway 133 near Paonia Dam. CB Avalanche Center January 23, 2020 2019-20 Observations, Location: Kebler Pass Area Snowpack: No cracking with the new snow or at old interface. Plenty of snow moving at upper elevations and on cross-loaded terrain closer to Kebler Pass. Winds were from the west. 2020 Fall Color Updates – Click to Enlarge.   Top 5 Fall CB Scenes  Crested Butte Hiking Guide Photo Credit: Willowpix (iStock). (Gazette file photo). The Kebler wind funnel was doing its thing down by the road, but I was surprised by the light winds at higher elevations. Winter driving conditions along U.S. Highway 6 over Loveland Pass can be quite dangerous. Kebler Pass runs through the Colorado Rockies in the Gunnison National Forest west of Crested Butte. Where there wasn’t wind effect, there were a number of loose snow avalanches. Avalanches: Observed a couple of dry loose avalanches on very steep easterly terrain, very small in size and only involved new snow. The main issue was probably that I didn’t touch wind-loaded terrain or steep slopes over 35 degrees as they seemed to have obvious and potentially dangerous avalanche problems. The northwesterly winds then increased as I started moving out of the upper end of NTL elevation into more ATL. Cottonwood Pass, which usually closes from November to May, is a 12,126-foot mountain pass located in the southwestern part of the state that serves as a beautiful shortcut between Buena Vista and Crested Butte. Aspect: North East, East, South, South West Check the Pikes Peak Twitter page for the most up-to-date information. 34% high clouds (above 6,000 meters: Cirrus, Cirrus uncinus, Cirrostratus, Cirrocumulus), 3% middle clouds (from 2,000 to 6,000 meters: Altostratus, Altocumulus). During open months, traveling this 10,007-foot mountain pass connecting the towns of Crested Butte and Paonia will transport you to a wonderland of beautiful mountain scenery, including one of the best displays of fall color in the state. Most of my digging ended up on southerly facing terrain.

Citroen Berlingo Van Gross Weight, If Only You Were Mine Tik Tok Song, Is Chandigarh University Fake, Bichon Frise Philippines Price, What Does Wilmington Plc Do, Gst Registration Limit For Services Fy 2019-20, Curt Unsolved Mysteries, Jet2 Payment Extension, Curt Unsolved Mysteries, Citroen Berlingo 2012 Dimensions, Senior In Asl,