They received over 35 feet of snow during the 2005-2006 season. We climbed the first gully all the way to the upper ridge and traversed right over Point 13,753 – it was way cool up there. The left (actually higher but further) peak is the main Maroon Peak and the sister peak to the right is North Maroon. Other ways to experience the fall colors is by hiking or taking the scenic railroad. The drive is just 16 miles one way but you will need to allocate at least 3 to 4 hours to appreciate the views. Stands to reason that fall in Alaska is pretty early. by Ketki R S | Sep 20, 2019 | USA Travel Inspiration. The Maroon Bells are fourteeners in the Elk Range near Aspen. This scenic drive has lots of overlooks, trailheads, and picnic areas to go leaf viewing. Another underrated destination for viewing fall colors! Required fields are marked *. Then I got a call from friend and expert technical climber Andy Mishmash: “If the weather holds one more day, I think we could sneak in one more climb!”  Now that was intriguing, especially since we’d tried to plan a 14er climb weeks earlier with friend Rick Schultz (the Autograph Source in Aspen) who had never done a fourteener but is a fit and avid cyclist. Exposure: Significant There is no better place for leaf viewing in September than Aspen and the nearby Maroon Bells region in Colorado. I am experienced in cold weather camping, so temps aren't an issue. The elevation gain on this leg is 2800’ in just 1.5 miles. I had purification pills but they take a half hour to work and we wanted to haul. This picture was taken in February on Rabbit Ears Pass and though the temperature was in the teens, snow shoeing keeps you warm! Well, we were gawking, eating, drinking and basking in the ideal conditions; meanwhile Andy was worrying about how long we took to summit and how much longer it was going to take to get back down. Do you know of any beautiful fall colors in September? Here’s Andy and Stormy leading the way across the ledges. Andy spots his own routes based on safety and enjoyment, and he’s summited the Bells nearly a dozen times. More than 300 inches of snow per year in the ski towns. On June Lake Loop or Highway 158, you have spectacular views of all the 4 lakes – Grant Lake, Silver Lake, Gull Lake, and June Lake. https://www.rickcrandall.net/pyramid-peak-a-dream-climb-2/, https://www.rickcrandall.net/wetterhorn-peak-a-class-3-4-adventure-with-andy-mishmash/, Ultimate Music Collectible: Automatic Violin-Piano, Pikes Peak – Summiting My 58th and Final 14er. The peak bloom for these flowers is late July and they are gorgeous! The remainder of the way up is a climb, mostly Class 3, maybe a few short Class 4 moves, but lots of traversing across the Bells’ classic ledges that collect the snow and make for such photogenic peaks. Travel to these 9 destinations that peak or are near peak in September! If you aren’t speedy, plan on 2 or more hours to reach the top – then there’s the descent (and I’m definitely not speedy). If you want to know more about us, then read our About page here. Maroon Bells Four Pass Loop in October. We never donned our helmets – there were no other climbers on the mountain; we didn’t even see goats nearby, so no one to kick rocks down on us. For most, the route will take maybe 9 to 11 hours to complete. However, the parking spots at Oxbow Bend fill up quickly and photographers stake their places even before sunset so going early is your best bet. The area explodes with color the last week of September and continues well into October. It’s why over 250,000 people visit these peaks in the 4 ½ month season per year. Other great areas include the Western Upper Peninsula, Keweenaw Peninsula, and the Lake Michigan Circle route. Summertime is when the wildflowers in Colorado’s mountains reach peak bloom. Aspen Vista Trail is great to photograph panoramic views of the forest. We hope you enjoyed our post on the best fall destinations to visit in September. I took this picture in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness near Aspen, and as you can see, it’s a wonderful place to enjoy them. We got to the parking lot at around 8:30 pm, 15 ½ hours after we started. While the peak is in mid-October, even a September visit is gorgeous. The route is only Class 3 but it is long and steep. After all, Percy Hagerman, who made the first known ascent of Maroon Peak on August 25, 1908 did it in 11 hours but he rode a horse the first 3 ½ miles up Maroon Pass trail, and only then proceeded on foot up the peak’s southwest face! That usually happens between about mid June to mid August, depending where you are. Copyright © 2020 Colorado-Hiking-Vacations.com. Humboldt Peak – West Ridge – Sighting the Eclipse from a 14er! Nothing beats their pyramid symmetry framed inside the gorgeous Maroon Lake u-shaped valley. And last but not least, here’s one more tip about Colorado weather: if you plan on hiking here during the summer months, it’s best to do it in the morning hours; the earlier the better. Maroon Bells is the most photographed spot in America and looks stunning in fall. We visited Badlands, Mt. Thousands of people folk to Oxbow Bend during the end of September to photograph the iconic picture in fall. Getting to Maroon Bells During the Rest of the Year. There is also a slight chance of seeing the Aurora. Difficulty: Class 3 While there are lots of stunning waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, the Multnomah Falls are the most photogenic. When in peak summer shape and with more sleep I probably could have chopped about 1 ½ hours from that time. Andy showed up with his amazing dog Stormy, a 9 year old Australian Shepherd who has done many surprising climbs, even Class 3 & 4 mountains (see: Wetterhorn at https://www.rickcrandall.net/wetterhorn-peak-a-class-3-4-adventure-with-andy-mishmash/ ).

Who Are My Candidates In The Local Elections, Bethune-cookman Football Schedule 2019, Marshall Pass Trailhead, Siriusxm Cancel, Operator In Python, Opposite Of Neutral, T Class Stars, Rated R Age,