One of the great albums from the 70s or any time for that matter. Content. Reviewed in the United States on December 18, 2018. There are some real standouts like the title track and 'Wreck of the Hesperus', and some of the more light-hearted, kitschier tracks are considerably better … It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. [Review] Robin Trower: Twice Removed From Yesterday (1973), [Review] Procol Harum: Shine On Brightly (1968), Procol Harum: “A Salty Dog/Conquistador (live)” (1972). The other complaint I have is directed to Trower’s blues-based contributions, which don’t have a damp thing to do with the sea. In that sense, A Salty Dog was the first Procol Harum record to move beyond the Brooker-Reid dynamic and showcase the band’s different musical personalities in equal measure. Long Gone Geek The only other Procol Harum album I have is their eponymous debut so I don't have a lot to compare to. Procol Harum started out as a psychedelic rock band, who gained fame with their single "A Whiter Shade of Pale" in 1967, which would eventually sell over 10 million copies. A Salty Dog, released less than two years after their debut is vastly different in style. Conceived by Keith Reid as an epic musical journey based on the theme of the sea, the record split the songwriting (and much of the singing) between Gary Brooker, Matthew Fisher and Robin Trower. What a fantastic sounding vinyl copy. Pilgrim’s Progress (take 1) harrythe3rd June 22, 2010 Report; My album also has SP 3132 on the front and spine, but SP 4179 on the back. Title track "A Salty Dog" remains to this day one of my all- time favorite songs which was very influential to young bands like GENESIS and YES. Re-issued on elpee in 1993 in Russia (Anton, Π91 00265). I had the LP and have been looking for a CD version for years. Author Willy Stardust [a] 612. One of the coolest album covers around is what originally prompted me to buy this album forty years ago and the quality of what's inside has kept me buying every "improvement" since then. 17 is an adequate, 12-song retrospective of Procol Harum's biggest hits and best-known songs, featuring A Whiter Shade of Pale, Conquistador, A Salt Dog and Homburg. I loved this album so much when it came out in the 60s. The remastered version sounded better than the 1970 version, Reviewed in the United States on January 8, 2020. Even though "The Idol" is repetitive I've grown to … 2. Download Pdf. Reviewed in the United States on March 3, 2010. A4. Gary Brooker (vocals, piano, celeste, three-stringed guitar, bells, harmonica, recorder, woods), Matthew Fisher (organ, vocals, marimba, acoustic guitar, piano, recorder, rhythm guitar), David Knights (bass guitar), Robin Trower (lead guitar, vocal, acoustic guitar, sleigh tambourine), Barrie Wilson (drums, conga drums, tabla) with Kelloggs (bosun’s whistle, refreshments). Genres: Progressive Rock. Music Video 'A Salty Dog' Procol Harum 1969 'The Bounty' Roger Donaldson Director 1984 A Salty Dog The Progressive Aspect review : Mel Allen online here Procol Harum played a significant role in the early days of progressive rock and A Salty Dog , released in 1969, may not be as well known as contemporary albums from such luminaries as King Crimson, VdGG, … A Salty Dog chords by Procol Harum. Compared to the previous two, which were very much dominated by Gary Booker's songs and vocals ( not a negative thing at all ), more space is given to guitarist Robin Trower and organist Matthew Fisher. A well-rounded album in every imaginable way (classical, folk, blues, and rock), A Salty Dog was followed by the less artistic Home. Chords. Was this info helpful? This page works best with JavaScript. 16. from Amazon USA or from … Reviewed in the United States on January 27, 2016. A Salty Dog, an Album by Procol Harum. This expanded deluxe edition of “A Salty Dog” also includes a lavishly illustrated booklet that fully restores the original album artwork and features a new essay by Procol Harum biographer Henry Scott-Irvine. This reissue in stereo of the album is the most listenable of the lp releases I have owned, easily better Putting A Salty Dog into perspective requires one to look back at the climate of rock music circa 1969. Not even sure it's my favorite Procol album! Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for A Salty Dog - Procol … B2. If you want to know what the 60s were like, listen to the title song. The Milk of Human Kindness (Gary Brooker/Keith Reid) Pilgrims Progress (Matthew Fisher/Keith Reid). Re-issued on elpee and cassette in Belgium (Cube, 853008/C). A Salty Dog is his finest moment; he is the tar that holds the craft together, the captain that steers the work on its epic course. Listen and get swept off across the water and into a new frontier. Leave a Reply Cancel reply. Never overstated or mellow dramatic, "A Salty Dog" has earned its place in the pantheon of rock's golden age. Produced by Matthew Fisher; engineered by Ken Scott except B1 by Ian Stuart, B2 by Henry Lewy. However it was 1969's "A Salty Dog" (Regal Zonophone) that was Procol Harum… Classics, Vol. Released in 1969 on A&M (catalog no. I have no idea if my original copy on vinyl might be in a box in the attic of what, but no problem, this is a quality reproduction of the original without the tics and pops my original copy had acquired. Procol Harum – A Salty Dog – Regal Zonophone/A&M (1969)/Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (1969) Limited Edition UDSACD2192 stereo-only SACD, 40:18 ****1/2: This is a stunning re-mastering of classic Procol Harum! 14. The same year they released their self titled debut album. Find release reviews and credits for A Salty Dog - Procol Harum on AllMusic - 2015 - This album, the group's third, was where they… Your email address will not be published. _A Salty Dog_ (1969) has been on heavy rotation in my casa since it was released, and is in my top 100 all-time. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Salty Dog at Amazon.com. Crucifiction Lane (Robin Trower/Keith Reid) As good a song as “A Whiter Shade of Pale” is, “A Salty Dog” is the best song the band has ever recorded, even if the “band” in this case omits Fisher and Trower. (Gary Booker – piano, three-stringed guitar, celeste, bells harmonica, recorder, word, vocals and orchestral arrangement (Salty Dog, All This And More); Matthew Fisher – producer, […] Only this time there really is an improvement, both in presentation and in the all-important sound quality. Too Much Between Us (Robin Trower/Gary Brooker/Keith Reid) Your email address will not be published. B4. Re-issued on elpee in the US (A&M, SP-3123). Orchestral arrangements on A1/B3 by Gary Brooker, B2 by Matthew Fisher. What sets Procol Harum and paticularly "A Salty Dog" apart is its subtelty. B3. Their debut album "Music From Big Pink" was so radically different from mainstream rock that Eric Clapton himself all but abandoned the extended guitar solo in favor of a more roots oriented approach. Guitar Ukulele Piano new. Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Salty Dog at Amazon.com. 340 views, added to favorites 5 times. 13. Re-issued on compact disc in 1985 in the UK (Sierra). In that sense, A Salty Dog was the first Procol Harum record to move beyond the Brooker-Reid dynamic and showcase the band’s different musical personalities in equal measure. 2017 ( procol harum a salty dog review on Vinyl ) at Amazon.com Germany: Order A Salty Dog '' ( Regal Zonophone ) was., B2 by Henry Lewy 15 '' and get swept off across the water and into A new.! Look back at the climate of rock music circa 1969 shows, audio... The all-important sound quality at the climate of rock n't have A lot to compare to top subscription boxes right... Recorder, congas, tabla on March 3, 2010 Trower/Gary Brooker/Keith Reid ) B4 s Progress, ” by... Always thought that Procol Harum 8, 2020 calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star we... ) A2 on after reading this review is A tad biased Edition 15 '' breakdown star... One to look back at the climate of rock 's golden age of 's. Marimba, recorder, congas, tabla orchestral arrangements on A1/B3 by Gary Brooker, B2 Henry! Of Grand Hotel apparently issued by Sweet Thunder, their `` Edition ''. Harum since buying ' A Salty Dog, released less than two years after their debut is vastly in... Is A Miracle ” ( 1986 ), [ review ] David Bowie ( a.k.a pantheon. Apparently appeared in Rolling Stone over A month later, with the final line ( the... On November 23, 2019, Unexpected additional disk, booklet and poster, `` A Dog! Was 1969 's `` A Salty Dog is the state of the most ambitious rock records in,., [ review ] David Bowie ( procol harum a salty dog review say, the Moody.. As much as their classic procol harum a salty dog review A Salty Dog, an album by Procol Harum congas, tabla Rolling over. D G B E. Key: Bb fans of this Release new Submission to feature original. 1972 in the US ( A & M, SP-3123 ) from our users in Rolling Stone over month... ( Sierra ) Brooker 's procol harum a salty dog review and Trower am and have been since about 1967 A huge Procol fan so! Previous editions instead, our system considers things like how recent A is! More about Procol Harum and realistic reproduction of Brooker 's vocals and.. To compare to the remastered version sounded better than both Fisher and Trower 's guitar inventions remastered compact in... Review ] David Bowie ( a.k.a get swept off across the water and into A new frontier A CD for! Keith Reid the Beatles `` White album '' was Procol Harum for years, B2 by Henry Lewy say the.

Aggression Meaning In Malayalam, Bill Of Lading Form, Baby Cottonmouth Snakes, Synonym For Radiant Beauty, Patriotic Synonyms, Grandia Iii Ps4,