No matter the personnel, though, Burgoyne's goal remains the same. “I took everything really seriously, because if I didn’t, I’d be finished. After all, when you’ve been an AFL player for 17 years, are a four-time premiership player, played the second most finals of any player in history, are an All-Australian and have captained your country, what could possibly motivate or inspire you? He is Hawthorn’s ironman, having played 105 consecutive games, remarkable for any player, let alone one in his 30s, and says his call to play on this year was a no-brainer. Raising your kids with gender norms these days is just sexist, lazy and ignorant. Shaun Burgoyne was the first guest on the Black Australia podcast which is co-hosted by Port Adelaide’s Director of Aboriginal Programs Paul Vandenbergh. “He’s obviously playing some good footy as a junior, had some hamstring issues, but to still get drafted was a hugely proud moment for our family. “I’ve been calling him my little nephew for a long time but he’s a man now and I’d be extremely proud if he got to play.”. I think I’m fighting a good battle at the moment.”. Burgoyne and Jarman Impey tussle in the pre-seasonCredit:Wayne Ludbey. “It’s a rort. Health and nutrition. “I think after round five - you get a good snapshot of five games -  we’ll know where we sit, whether we’re in the eight or outside the eight. Edit Profile. “He’s got pretty much the same core values I do with family, [putting] family first. Shaun Burgoyne on the ground with his kids after Hawthorn won the 2013 premiership. I started to notice how our society is divided by gender, blue is for boys and pink is for girls. Shaun played 157 games with Port Adelaide in nine years at the club while Peter was part of the club’s inaugural AFL list and managed 240 AFL games in a 13-year career. ? Losing three or four kilos. It’s a tough gig, but one I consider an absolute privilege. 2 Profile Searches. "Shaun, my brother-in-law, I think he's won four (AFL premierships). “He’ll say something to do with being old. “You have kids and it just goes all out the window to a certain extent. “[I] watched them play, win and then went to the change rooms and had some beers with the players and the coaching staff,” he said. Over the last few years it’s been really exciting to see more women come into the game. In fact, this research showed that most parents of 0-3 year olds want to allow their kids to explore their interests without gender roles and stereotypes, and 92% agree that it’s important to treat girls and boys the same in their early years. His brother, Peter Burgoyne, also played for Port Adelaide. The kids love their new trampoline ???????????? I offer my kids toys, activities, books and clothes and items traditionally associated with the other sex, and I would say they 99% of the time they go with the stuff, or just naturally gravitate towards it, associated with their gender. Brad Ebert and Ken Hinkley speak to the media. Burgoyne concedes he didn’t expect to still be juggling the dual demands of parenthood and being an elite sportsman - in the year he turns 36, as the league's oldest player. ?#weareportadelaide pic.twitter.com/O08LEQYTJJ. “I’ve watched him grow up but I’ve been in Melbourne the last 10 years and (it’s been) hard to watch him play footy. The names of his children are … Time alone with Amy is relatively rare, so a trip to Sydney with her to watch his beloved Melbourne Storm in last year’s NRL grand final was an indulgence, and an item ticked off the bucket list. He instilled a passion for AFL that still lives within me today and by his example I knew that if I worked hard I could achieve anything I set my mind to. Trent Burgoyne missed much of last season with hamstring issues but has managed to complete most of the pre-season and is a chance to make his competitive debut in the club’s under 23 Showdown against Adelaide on Saturday. Much of his time at home is spent watching cartoons. Then you kind of readjust.”. But Burgoyne, 341 games into his storied career, powers on. Burgoyne is looking forward to some banter with Hodge when the Hawks take on the Brisbane Lions in round nine. As of Monday, Burgoyne claimed he still didn’t know where he’d line up this week. Review. He has children too and four of them. While the teenager will take time to break into the Power side, his uncle has admitted sweating over what might happen if the pair wind up on opposing teams. She loves 'girly' stuff - playing dress ups, dolls, nail polish, but also loves the Cars movie, and Woody and Buzz are her favourites. Burgoyne’s life is based around family. That's a bit harsh. “It goes very quickly as well. “I would have loved for Hawthorn to have drafted him and brought him over, but he’s staying home with Port and it’s a good reward for persistence and resilience and mental toughness, and the sky is the limit now.”, How good is it to have a Burgoyne running around on Alberton Oval again? We want to set a good example, help them explore their individuality and teach them to respect themselves and those around them. He won the 2013 and 2013 AFL Premiership alongside Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge. I have four young kids, two boys and two girls, and like most parents, my wife Amy and I want the best for them. If the kids come in, they come in. “I want to win another flag. I don’t really know how interested they were. Of those a few years younger, Jarryd Roughead’s health issues have been well documented, while Grant Birchall’s career has recently reached an injury-inflicted crossroad. If they don’t, they don’t. How we dress our kids, the toys we give them to play with and how we speak to them, all play an important role in how they learn to process the world around them. “He spent a fair bit of time away, but he came back in really good nick, and he hasn’t missed a beat since he’s come back," Burgoyne said. Eat right, train right, recover right, sleep right. It’s nice to know clubs still think you were of value to them. A post shared by Shaun Burgoyne (@shaunburgoyne9) on May 8, 2017 at 4:49am PDT. Not too often! “It’s unbelievably weird, I was there the day he was born at the hospital holding him, and my brother kicked me out of the house (telling me) ‘I need your room, Shaun’,” Burgoyne told The Advertiser’s new Indigenous discussion podcast Black Australia. I don’t know if it’s going to be this year or not,” he said. Rewarding, heart-warming and hilarious – but tough. They are showing young girls, like my daughters, that women can play, coach and run the entire sport and that’s a wonderful thing. Yet another reason for him to keep playing. I want to be that for my kids. “It’s quite hard for me to hang out outside of footy, because of my kids and how busy I am but when we get away trips, always with the young guys, joking around, hanging out. The 2004 Power premiership star, who has also won three premierships with Hawthorn, is entering his 19th season in the AFL, after initially being drafted by Port Adelaide with pick 12 in the 2000 AFL National Draft. Personnel wise, the club isn't close to what it was even two years ago. Family Life. Of talk last year that Port were interested in luring him back, Burgoyne didn’t entirely refute the suggestion, but nor did he say there was much in it. “I was thinking about it a couple of times and I thought ‘I’d let him kick a goal on me’, then I’d think ‘no I wouldn’t, I’d try to hurt him,’ and then I’d be ‘nah, it’s my nephew I can’t hurt him’, so I’m torn. They say having a daughter changes a man, and I can honestly say that when we had our first, my mindset changed straight away. Associated With. You’ve got four kids, you need to pay for six airfares!”. “I came here on crutches and that’s when I really thought, ‘I really need to knuckle down and tighten a lot of things up’, because potentially that was the end of my career. One night this week, Burgoyne’s daughter Nixie jumped into bed with him and wife Amy. “All coaches throughout the league are highly driven. Greg Phillips – who is celebrating his 60th birthday on Tuesday – was an eight-time premiership player with Port Adelaide in the SANFL. “They loved it. But we can teach them to always treat people with respect and prepare them to challenge narrow-minded views. Outside of his family life and time at Hawthorn, Burgoyne is an ambassador with Swisse, chairman of the players’ association’s Indigenous advisory board, and has been doing some work with the AFL’s fledgling next generation academy program, an area in which he hopes to stay after he finishes playing. His role models are the game's longest-serving players. Message. Shaun Burgoyne Net Worth, Age, Height, Weight, Body Measurements, Dating, Marriage, Relationship Stats, Family, Career, Wiki.Scroll below and check our most recent updates about about Shaun Burgoyne's Biography, Salary, Estimated Net worth, Expenses, Income Reports & … Every day during the week one of his children has some sort of sporting commitment. “It’s pretty pigeon-holed with the way people think once you hit 30,” Burgoyne said. Burgoyne is married to Amy née Phillips, who is the daughter of Port Adelaide legend Greg Phillips and sister of WNBA and AFLW superstar Erin Phillips. I want to play footy as long as I can, until my body breaks down and I can no longer go. Shaun Burgoyne concedes he didn’t expect to still be juggling the dual demands of parenthood and being an elite sportsman in the year he turns 36. (post continues after audio...). And there is something of a generation gap between the man known as “Silk” and his younger teammates. It seems coach Alastair Clarkson doesn’t mind keeping Burgoyne guessing. I was lucky enough to have my father as my role model. Shaun Burgoyne plays AFL for Hawthorn Football Club and is an Ambassador for the Our Watch youth campaign The Line which challenges attitudes and behaviours that lead to violence against women. He is currently the competition’s oldest player at 37, and watched with interest as Trent was drafted as a father-son rookie selection in November. Explore Shaun Burgoyne's biography, personal life, family and real age. Trent Burgoyne is the son of Shaun’s older brother Peter Burgoyne, himself a 2004 flag hero. I don’t want them to be one of the women murdered every week in this country by their current of former partner, or because they’re Indigenous, be 32 times more likely to be hospitalised due to family violence. I want my boys to have good relationships with girls growing up, and I want my daughters to grow up in a world where they feel safe, respected and equal. Brian Lake, David Hale, Luke Hodge, Josh Gibson and Sam Mitchell have all departed the club since the 2015 grand final. It’s sad to think that as a child, I grew up thinking footy belonged to men.

Zoo De La Flèche English, Jeff Garcia Comedian Net Worth, Thanksgiving Football History, Pacific Coast Highway Stops, Earthworm Order, Black Alder Fruit, Chevrolet Camaro, Antonio Brown Ravens, Kentucky Water Moccasin, Gavin Leatherwood - Wikipedia, Schweppes Lemonade Can Calories,