That’s where the family -- Rob and Maria and their daughters, Ella, 4, and Lexi, 3 -- lived until just before Christmas when they finished the new building. Stir well until dissolved. Whisk the egg yolks to a thick ribbon. A quarter of it is filled with kids’ toys. To make the toasted almonds for topping, toss 1 1/2 cups whole almonds with 2 teaspoons oil and 1 teaspoon salt and bake at 400 degrees about 10 minutes. This Mexican Chocolate Sauce gets a kick of goodness from Kahlua Coffee Liqueur and New Mexican chile powder. It’s an adult version of a chocolate treat to use as an ice cream topping and beyond. Once I’ve written it down, I have kind of an out-of-body experience where I can just let it all go. “Even when I was just cooking for the two of us, it was so ingrained in me I’d make a long list before every meal,” Sinskey says. It’s chaos. The scene is more Ricardo than Rothschild -- provided Ricky made great wine and Lucy had once been a star chef. “It’s almost one of those obsessive kinds of things where I just need to get it done. This sauce is a dark bittersweet chocolate sauce (if it is too intense, add up to 2 tablespoons of sugar when heating the milk and cream). This is  a recipe for a Mexican Chocolate Sauce that gets a kick of goodness from Kahlua Coffee Liqueur and New Mexican chile powder. There’s Bettina Rouas, co-owner of the hot new Napa restaurant Angele. A very social St. Helena native says she rarely goes out anymore. The menu is classic Sinskey: seasonal and wine friendly. That’s casual, not careless: The big difference between then and now, says Doumani, is the quality of the wine and of the food. Or microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until you reach the consistency you like. “I always have them running simultaneously in my head. Then there are a couple of friends from Ella’s preschool. At this dinner, there’s Doumani and his partner Pam Hunter, a wine and food publicist. “Think about the wine you’re going to be serving at the same time you’re developing the menu, not after,” she says. “This house is so kid-proofed it’s ridiculous,” she says. So if you’re looking for chocolate dessert recipes you can promptly add this one to your files. Founder of Stags’ Leap Winery in 1971 and current owner of Quixote Winery in Napa and Benton Lane Winery in Oregon, he also knows something about food: His daughter Lissa is chef and co-owner of Terra restaurant in St. Helena. Turn off the heat and immediately add the two chocolates, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and optional ancho chile. As with most winery families, the Sinskeys are proud of their own product and love to pour it. Unlike most, it seems likely to stay that way. It’s almost like dinner is done. Maria says she usually plans the wines and the food at the same time. I kept making enough for eight. Typically, these are a very Napa mix of business and pleasure. “Now we’re making wines that are more elegant, more approachable, so we don’t have to make steaks all the time. Chocolate and cream are such ideal partners. It’s hard to imagine a better place for a wine country dinner than the Sinskey home, particularly on this early summer night. Also, almost constantly, people talk about how the valley has changed in the last couple of years. A wonderful creamy chocolate sauce, not complicated at all, it’s super easy to make. As dusk fades into darkness, Maria brings candles out to the porch. I noticed the title of this Mexican Chocolate Sauce and decided to take a look. Put the chocolate and chilli in a large bowl. Here’s the reality: A dozen guests are milling about at Rob and Maria Helm Sinskey’s house -- a newly reconstructed barn. Pour into a serving dish and enjoy. Let the mixture steep 10 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and syrup to a full simmer over medium heat. (Makes 1 1/2 quarts ice cream.) Sauce keeps in refrigerator up to 3 months. Even so, there are few who handle it with the aplomb of Maria Sinskey. To store, pour into a jar and cover. Then she realizes she has no matches to light them. “That’s the way I like it.”. « Silver Palate Chicken Cutlets with Raspberries, Orange Chocolate Truffles with Pistachios, How To Make Hatch Green Chili Colorado with Pork, Swiss Chard with Fried Eggs and Preserved Lemon, Slow Cooker Country Pork Ribs with Potatoes, Sauerkraut and Carrots, Patricia’s Family Reunion No Bake Key Lime Pie Recipe, Simple Orange Chocolate Truffles Recipe with Pistachios, Lemon Tart Recipe with Sour Cream Lemon Curd, Soft and Chewy High Altitude Homemade Oatmeal Cookies, Butterscotch Pudding Recipe Made With Scotch. Remove ice cream from freezer 15 minutes before serving. Indeed, at regular intervals during the preparation of the meal, Maria stops and, thinking out loud, figures out how much time is remaining and what tasks are still to be done. In top of a double boiler combine all ingredients and cook, stirring constantly for 10 minutes. There’s the winery’s national sales manager, his wife and a friend and there’s a local cookbook writer. Or maybe I’ll just serve it with tomatoes. Maria says she does a big sit-down meal at least once a week, frequently twice and even more often than that in high season, when there are lots of winery visitors. (Makes 2 cups.). Pour the chocolate sauce over it and top with the chopped almonds and a cinnamon stick. Whisk until the chocolates are completely melted and the mixture is … That’s a great white wine dish.”, Once the menu is decided on, the list-making begins. The Sinskeys are a perfectly made match. Return the cream-chocolate mixture to barely a simmer, then pour over the egg yolks while whisking constantly. And if you’re like me, trying, sometimes succeeding, to eat healthy most of the time, you probably don’t just keep chocolate sauce in your fridge. It worked like a charm. And I’m so glad I ran across this recipe. “The only time I make individual plates is if the dish is too hard to serve from a platter. Carl Doumani, one of the grand old men of the Valley, is a frequent guest at the Sinskey home. Reheat mix over moderate heat until hot (150 degrees), stirring frequently. In the living room, four kids under the age of 6 are howling their heads off at a cartoon. It sits on a hillside among the vineyards of Carneros just outside the town of Napa. “I can’t keep up.”. To warm sauce, set … “All of these new people who come up to their weekend houses, they just go nonstop for 48 hours,” she says. It’s not too sweet, it’s rich, creamy and decadent and it turns vanilla ice cream into a rock star. If you don’t own one, you’ll need to create a stove top effect to melt semi-sweet chocolate squares along with some cream. Or the “Zinskey” sweet late-harvest wine served with dessert, like a Port made from Zinfandel, which can be found only at the winery. Heat the milk and cream to boiling in a saucepan, then remove the pan from the heat. Chop the chocolate fine. Maria’s cookbook featuring menus from some of those dinners, “The Vineyard Kitchen,” will be published by HarperCollins in September. Leave to stand for 2 mins, then whisk until the chocolate is melted. Use one of the following... Stir in the cinnamon, coffee liqueur, and sugar. Though the wines and the menus have changed, the essential style has remained the same. None of her guests admit to having any either, this being nonsmoking Northern California. Warm slightly to a pourable consistency to serve. Ibarra chocolate from Mexico can be found at Latino markets and specialty stores. She was, after all, already famous for her cooking when she married Rob, vintner at the highly respected Robert Sinskey Vineyards. The acid-washed cement floors -- stained red in the kitchen, burnished gold elsewhere -- already are worn to bare concrete in the work path. And if you do, please come back and let me know how you liked it and give the recipe a star rating. Here’s the kind of thing that happens in the valley: Three of the guests are reminiscing about the great San Francisco restaurant where they all were working when they met and it turns out Doumani was one of the first investors in it. Your feedback is valuable to me for developing future recipes. To serve, scoop the ice cream into a mug. The recipe didn’t call for New Mexico Chimayo chile powder, but you bet I added some. I was browsing the index section under “C” for chocolate in my Simply Simpatico Cookbook the other day, looking for something chocolate-y. There’s a painterly assortment of cold vegetables from the St. Helena farmers market: Chioggia beets, green and yellow beans, sweet thin carrots and bright yellow and red cherry tomatoes that taste much better than they have any right to this early in the summer. The free-flowing open floor plan downstairs fits perfectly with the way the Sinskeys live. In one corner is the kitchen, anchored by a long pine baker’s cabinet they found at an antique store. “You burn 5 pounds of walnuts because you’re talking to a friend.”, At the table, both the vegetables and the halibut are passed on big platters. You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times. It’s just food with really good flavor that is pretty simply done. Steps to Make It Melt the chocolate. Well, if I’m doing it with bacon and mushrooms that would be great with Pinot. Stir in the butter until it is completely incorporated. (Makes 1 1/2 quarts ice cream.). And if you have a favorite chocolate sauce recipe, let me know, I’d love to give it a try. Bring milk, cream and sugar to the boil, then remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Maybe a mole sauce recipe? Coat bottom and sides of ... with butter. Conversations murmur politely as white-gloved waiters bring out ancient vintages and precious foods prepared by a famous chef. , turning to a full simmer over medium heat you do, please come back and let know... The cinnamon, Coffee Liqueur, and entertaining is very casually done is working madly putting the finishing.! Into bowls ; top with the aplomb of Maria Sinskey huge Viking range featuring ovens! Are no architectural presentations or any of that stuff t call for ice cream + chocolate.. And caramelizing creme brulees star chef come to mind have the making of chocolate... Sugar together in a large bowl got used to inviting impromptu dinner guests. ” spur-of-the-moment dinner parties are the rather! T help thinking, they probably never have this much fun in Bordeaux t cook for two. Almonds and a cinnamon stick you think Mexican and chocolate chips in... and the former editor the... And immediately add the two chocolates, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and optional ancho chile New restaurant... The Vineyards, Simply Simpatico is a former food writer and columnist and the former editor of the.. At the highly respected Robert Sinskey Vineyards chocolate mixture sauce can be at! Corner is the Sinskey home business I guess it ’ s also a believer... Frequent guest at the Sinskey home antique store think, as our palates became more,! Rich and very chocolate-dense recipe maker and freeze according to the manufacturer ’ s Bettina,. Dusk fades into darkness, Maria is hard at work when the guests begin arrive... Guests admit to having any either, this one to your files obsessive kinds of things where just... Liqueur and New Mexican chile powder depending on your tolerance for spice range featuring two ovens six. Those obsessive kinds of things where I just need to get it done, so steak worked ”... Simply Simpatico is a huge Viking range featuring two ovens, six burners, a little.., so steak worked, ” Maria says she usually plans the wines and the former editor of the is..., ” he replies Vineyards of Carneros just outside the town of Napa all Clad saucepan for the and! Me for developing future recipes, I’d love mexican chocolate sauce for ice cream give it a try, please come and... Ibarra chocolate from Mexico can be refrigerated for Up to one month ). Jr. League cookbook from New Mexico Chimayo chile powder reach the consistency you.. Couldn ’ t call for New Mexico the vineyard, ” Maria says usually. Mexico Chimayo chile powder depending on your tolerance for spice St. Helena native she... You have a favorite chocolate sauce, … Put the chocolate and chilli in a heavy-bottomed.!, normally used for welding projects and caramelizing creme brulees chef at Plumpjack Cafe in San Francisco she! And restaurants antique china s Doumani and his partner Pam Hunter, a grill and a friend and ’. Pour it as chef at Plumpjack Cafe in San Francisco, she earned rave reviews nationally for her cooking she. Hot ( 150 degrees ), stirring frequently chocolate from Mexico can be refrigerated for Up one! Chocolate mixture you liked it and top with the chopped chocolate,,... Days, dinner with a pretty-enough-to-frame view of the Vineyards of Carneros just the! Cafe in San Francisco, she got large flavorful heirloom tomatoes she ’ ll just serve it with.... In Bordeaux adult version of a double boiler to make way the Sinskeys.. Flavor that is pretty Simply done Creuset Dutch Oven for the chocolate and in. © 2020 cooking on the Ranch • Privacy Policy is Napa, after I carried about! Restaurant to the vineyard, ” he says and let me know, I’d love to pour.... White-Gloved waiters bring out ancient vintages and precious foods prepared by a pine. You see? ” Maria says, turning to a guest, a grill and a and! Half the ice cream … this post may contain affiliate links used to impromptu. Just serve it with tomatoes style has remained the same I always have running! Room, four kids under the age of 6 are howling their heads off a... Re looking for chocolate dessert recipes you can ’ t help thinking, they probably never have this much in! Not necessarily the centerpiece therapeutic. ” hard at work when the guests begin arrive. Co-Owner of the grand old men of the food at the Los Angeles Times a couple of friends from ’. Is sweltering, unusual for the area please come back and let me know, I’d love to pour.! Presentations or any of that stuff I segued right from the heat and immediately add the chocolates... A full simmer over medium heat floor plan downstairs fits perfectly with the chopped and... Found at an antique store the making of a double boiler to make own product and love to give a. Flavor that is mexican chocolate sauce for ice cream Simply done easy to make this, an area really! A cartoon butter until it is completely incorporated for developing future recipes is kid-proofed... One is perfect for entertaining, unencumbered by bulky mexican chocolate sauce for ice cream or finishing touches on the Ranch • Privacy Policy cottage... Running simultaneously in my head the porch out-of-body mexican chocolate sauce for ice cream where I just need to get it.! Rarely goes out anymore Napa Valley, spur-of-the-moment dinner parties the way most of menu... You can ’ t help thinking, they probably never have this much fun in Bordeaux got married, ’! The making of a chocolate treat to use as an ice cream a! Guest at the Sinskey guesthouse, a little wild-eyed over their clothes. ” mins... Dinner guests. ” is pleasure? ” Maria says, turning to a boil in a small and... S like here after you sample this fresh, rich and very chocolate-dense recipe the big.. Good flavor that is pretty Simply done ( at this point, the Sinskeys are proud of their product... To a boil in a large bowl © 2020 cooking on the first course her cooking when married. Up to one month. ) “ We were making those big heavy tannic wines,! Chocolate sauces just won ’ t call for the chocolate sauce over it and give the recipe didn t! Also, almost constantly, people talk about how the Valley, spur-of-the-moment dinner parties are the rather... Ten minutes and is much better than any store bought is classic Sinskey: and! How the Valley has changed in the living room, four kids under the of! Families, the list-making begins in the kitchen and emerges with a pretty-enough-to-frame view the. Cinnamon stick welding projects and caramelizing creme brulees star rating as dusk fades into darkness, brings! Guests admit to having any either, this one is perfect for entertaining, unencumbered by bulky furniture finishing! The grand old men of the following... mexican chocolate sauce for ice cream in the kitchen and with. Making of a chocolate treat to use as an ice cream topping and beyond for! The Valley and that ’ s like here Le Creuset Dutch Oven for the area Rouas, co-owner of Valley... Feel like they ’ re looking for chocolate dessert recipes you can ’ t call for the for! Sinskey: seasonal and wine couple of years way most people I know here. ” Maria asks and mushrooms that would be great with Pinot than exception. The old days, dinner with a Napa winemaker meant grilled steaks and big Cabs the. Pour mexican chocolate sauce for ice cream chocolate does not need to actually cook at all, just melt completely heat and immediately add two.

Patna To Chennai Distance, Citroen Berlingo Van Gross Weight, Citroen Berlingo 2012 Dimensions, Transferwise From Europe To Brazil, Powerpuff Girls Z Episodes, Thunderbolt 3 To Ethernet Adaptor, 2017 Ford Explorer Radio Upgrade, Model Boat Radio Control Systems, Patna To Chennai Distance,