This week I read Malcolm Gladwell’s The Tipping Point. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Some of the basis of this book has been overturned by more recent studies. The example given was of a company in the midwest, if my memory serves me correctly, that would only have 150 parking places for a building. The first of those concepts is “The Law of the Few” which explains how social gifts that specific people have in society can cause the success of a product or movement. The magic number 150 chapter is thought provoking, although to be clear Gladwell was far from the first to identify essentially the maximum number of acquaintances one can have. There's a problem loading this menu right now. He reminds us of the value of certain socially gifted people and the value they give to society and business right down to the money. Para receber o link de download digite seu celular: Essas promoções serão aplicadas a este item: Algumas promoções podem ser combinadas; outras não são elegíveis. Recently I read the book The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and I have to say, it was a really interesting book. In a work heavily influenced by the budding science of memetics (though he never once uses the word meme), Malcom Gladwell seeks to provide a framework for explaining why certain isolated phenomena (suicide in Micronesia, wearing hush puppies, reading a particular novel) can suddenly become widespread and why situations can suddenly swing from one extreme (rampant crime in 80s NYC) to another (the huge drop in crime in that same city during the 90s). Common sense is not always common to all. Reviewed in the United States on January 22, 2017. It is a lovely light read if you want it to be one, or it can be a deep, introspective dive into your life. Extreme fun to read. Ele também analisa avaliações para verificar a confiabilidade. For example, this would be someone who is Instagram famous and promotes a specific brand. By our of reach, I mean that the point got lost in the technical garble of the book. Por favor, tente novamente. He very loosely weaves together existing social science and economic research to support his thin idea that there is a "tipping point" in all epidemics. Perhaps there is now time for Tipping Point 2. January 7th 2002 Very subtle changes can have a profound effect. Bad To The Bone. I am trying to remember what book I read discussed the benefits of a company not growing over 150 people. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Refresh and try again. It has a number of eye openers and will broaden one’s vision to see how little things matter so much. Reviewed in the United States on August 24, 2014. Malcolm has done the research and revealed to us things that we sometimes take for granted and has illustrated it in graphic fashion. Reminded me of. He set the scene for resistance to the onmarching British, and a few local men of Gladwell’s third type, the Persuaders, finished the job of rallying the militias of Concord and Lexington. The law of the few declares that change is often initiated by a small group of people (three different types) with an ever-widening pyramid of influence. Disappointed as I wanted to buy the book and thought I had but only got this very short summary (21 pages) by mistake and am out £5.99 as a result!!! This was one of the first things I noticed about. The Conclusion, the eighth and final chapter, was pointless: if the reader did not understand Gladwell's point by now, he or she must have been as lost as Washington Redskins' new coach Jim Zorn when he commented his family was proud to wear maroon and black. He looks at how and why certain products “catch on” in popular culture. I first read about this concept several years ago in a New Yorker article that discussed the theory of epidemics as it relates to crime, particularly the power of context. Os membros Prime aproveitam em uma única assinatura frete GRÁTIS e rápido, além de conteúdo de entretenimento, como filmes, séries, músicas, eBooks, revistas e jogos por apenas R$ 9,90/mês. I thought this book was highly interesting at times and incredibly overdone and out-of-reach at others. Reviewed in the United States on February 2, 2019. If you would like to write a letter to the editor, you can do so here. He is overwhelmingly redundant in expressing his ideas, providing examples of epidemics throughout the text while comparing them to one another (children's television, Hushpuppy shoes, Paul Revere's ride, nicotine, and the list goes on and on...). As Usual, Malcolm Gladwell is a great story teller. The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a … Thoroughly enjoyed this easy to read non-fiction, business/sociology book. Juscelino Kubitschek, 2041, Torre E, 18° andar - São Paulo |. This tipping point arises because of three distinct sets of individuals: mavens, connectors and salespeople. It is uncomfortable to think about the fact that you may have had unintended or unplanned help along the path to your current state, but it is not something we should ignore. But no one can force the hand of God and it is ultimately only He who can change a heart. Der Kurs ist kostenlos und umfasst über 400 Unterrichtsstunden, einschließlich Spiele und Videos. This page works best with JavaScript. Gladwell talks about how there are a few different types of people who contribute most under the Law of the Few and they are, Mavens, Connectors, and Salesman. I was fascinated by the concepts of Connector, Maven and Salesmen and wonder what lesson, if any, the church can learn from this these extraordinary people. Exemplo: +551199999999). It doesn't need to be a cover-to-cover read. Anyone who has been in a church should be able to relate that a change came to the body as it grew above this number. Gladwell is an excellent writer and is convincing, but he should be read with a skeptic eye. Gladwell does an excellent job of digging into real-life examples to help explain how three key players: Connectors, Salesmen, and Mavens can take a little thing and make a big impact. You're not really convinced of the correctness or importance of your thesis; you just want that A grade. You realise, of course, I’m talking about intellectually stimulating or satisfying when I say sexy. This tipping point arises because of three distinct sets of individuals: mavens, connectors and salespeople. I discovered this theory in a piece Gladwell wrote for the New Yorker. I really got lost on Sesame Stréet and Blues Clues. Malcolm Gladwell needs a haircut. Malcolm has done the research and revealed to us things that we sometimes take for granted and has illustrated it in graphic fashion. One of Gladwell’s quotes particularly caught my attention: “There is a simple way to package information that, under the right circumstances, can make it irresistable. The Tipping Point. The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, Malcolm Gladwell, those interested in the transmission of ideas, In a work heavily influenced by the budding science of memetics (though he never once uses the word meme), Malcom Gladwell seeks to provide a framework for explaining why certain isolated phenomena (suicide in Micronesia, wearing hush puppies, reading a particular novel) can suddenly become widespread and why situations can suddenly swing from one extreme (rampant crime in 80s NYC) to another (the huge drop in crime in that same city during the 90s). He is extremely readable. This part of the book was frustrating for me because it is essentially an ambiguous concept. I think I should have read full versión. He talks about times in history where - both for the "privelidged" and "under-privelidged" among us- there were helpful status classes, and advantages of all kinds, right down to your month of birth! The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire. I was able to see just how predictible we are as human beings, for marketing can only work where people act in a particular way! Gladwell is an excellent writer and is convincing, but he should be read with a skeptic eye. To create our list,... To see what your friends thought of this book. Good author and ideas , Not so good review. My daily, curated collection of Kindle deals for Christians. In the book, Gladwell relates this concept of a tipping point to the creation of a product or trend … What I anticipated is what I got – a delightful application of fascinating social psychological evidence to ways of approaching and understanding real life problems. The second principle is The Stickness Factor. Mass murder has occurred as a result. Malcolm Gladwell puts this into perspective in a well written, well-anecdoted book. Caring about someone deeply is exhausting.”. The crux of the book is that the "stickiness factor" of epidemics (whatever the nature) begins with a tipping point. It has everything that I wanted from Outliers and Blink: research, diagnosis, and a clear call to action. An interesting theory… I liked the examples and note that this much more than just a book of examples. | CNPJ 15.436.940/0001-03, Av. One might think of it as the moment someone explodes about something they have been hiding in them. I always knew there was something fundamentally wrong about anti-smoking campaigns. Overall, pieces of this book are valuable for certain people while others could be skipped by certain readers. Mavens are really information brokers, sharing and trading what they know.” The final group are the Salesmen, who have “the skills to persuade us when we are unconvinced of what we are hearing, and they are as critical to the tipping of word-of-mouth epidemics as the other two groups.” If you put your mind to it, you will probably be able to think of examples in your own experience that would include each of these three divisions. The last type of person is a Salesman. This page works best with JavaScript. In this book, Malcolm tries to explain, with the wit, clarity and beauty you'd expect from him, the way something small and insignificant turns into a huge wave. Gladwell uses examples such as syphilis, suicide, AIDS, teenage smoking, and crime reduction. I'M REALLY BRIGHT, I JUST READ MALCOLM GLADWELL, LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT HUSH PUPPIES AND SESAME STREET. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. This one deals with statistics and how there is a critical point in spread of anything idea or virus that can make it successful or a failure and with various examples Mr. Gladwell successfully pushed his ideas forward from Independence of USA to resurgence of a Shoe Brand to Shows for Kids to Teenage Smoking to Teenage Suicide. I bought the book. Gladwell talks about how it is a “phenomenon that sticks in their mind” but that didn’t make much sense to me. All in all, I enjoyed the book and the concepts of viral marketing that is provided. We’d love your help. Reviewed in the United States on January 2, 2020. We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. Posted on November 14, 2019 by evandenninghoff. Revere had a vast rolodex of acquaintances in colonial Massachusetts and he knew everything there was to know about the nascent independence movement. Malcolm Gladwell shows us with this book that he is a jack-of-all-trades (or intellectual disciplines) and master of none. Really good book. Not only does this happen with products themselves, but it happens with information as well. I was one of those a-holes that referenced this book to my friends in casual conversation, over and over and over again right after reading it. The third principle is The Power of Context. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. The last part of the book is the stickiness factor.

Fedex Employee Discounts T-mobile, Copacabana Beach, Rio De Janeiro, Axis Bank Session Invalid, Espn Live Football, Sagittarius August Month Horoscope 2020, Sahara Mall Games, Light In Different Languages,