{ bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346693' }}, var pbTabletSlots = [ The Possessive adjective is used with a noun, the Possessive pronoun is used without a noun. Because the printers and grammarians. {code: 'ad_leftslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_leftslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/leftslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[120, 600], [160, 600], [300, 600]] } }, { Examples of common pronouns include: I, me, we, they, you, he, she, it, yours, himself and ourselves. This house is hers. var mapping_houseslot_a = googletag.sizeMapping().addSize([963, 0], [300, 250]).addSize([0, 0], []).build(); ? (Her car is faster than my car). { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [300, 50] }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_rightslot' }}]}, Your taking the prize was a nice surprise. { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11653860' }}, Subject Possessive; I: Mine: You: Yours: He: His: She: Hers: It: Its: We: Ours: You: Yours : They: Theirs: For example: This is my book. }, aid cohesion and avoid repetition, Reflexive pronouns (myself, himself, herself, yourself, themselves, itself, ourselves), ossessive pronouns, e.g. dfpSlots['topslot_b'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/topslot', [[728, 90]], 'ad_topslot_b').defineSizeMapping(mapping_topslot_b).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'top').setTargeting('hp', 'center').setTargeting('ad_group', Adomik.randomAdGroup()).addService(googletag.pubads()); One doesn’t like to spend too much time on one’s own. Finally, you can practice what you've learned by taking the quizzes below. Professor David Crystal explains it in his book The Fight for English: How language pundits ate, shot, and left (Crystal 2006), pp. => This is mine. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_topslot' }}, bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776160', position: 'atf' }}, Try the free Mathway calculator and dfpSlots['houseslot_a'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/houseslot', [300, 250], 'ad_houseslot_a').defineSizeMapping(mapping_houseslot_a).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'mid').setTargeting('hp', 'right').setTargeting('ad_group', Adomik.randomAdGroup()).addService(googletag.pubads()); ), Future: other expressions to talk about the future, Future: present continuous to talk about the future (, Future: present simple to talk aboutthe future (, Modality: other modal words and expressions. expires: 365 ga('create', 'UA-31379-3',{cookieDomain:'dictionary.cambridge.org',siteSpeedSampleRate: 10}); *We avoid using its and one’s as possessive pronouns except when we use them with own: The house seemed asleep yet, as I have said, it had a life of its own. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_SR' }}, googletag.pubads().collapseEmptyDivs(false); syncDelay: 3000 All Rights Reserved, Possessive Pronoun Practice for Elementary Kids. LearnEnglish Subscription: self-access courses for professionals. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195467', size: [320, 50] }}, var googletag = googletag || {}; }, } My grandparents house is full of strange ornaments and trinkets from their holidays all over the world. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_MidArticle' }}, Possessive Pronouns are yet another category of word that primary schools have to learn under the UK national curriculum. iasLog("exclusion label : mcp"); Possessives: pronouns 2. { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971066', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_btmslot' }}]}]; dfpSlots['topslot_a'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/topslot', [], 'ad_topslot_a').defineSizeMapping(mapping_topslot_a).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'top').setTargeting('hp', 'center').setTargeting('ad_group', Adomik.randomAdGroup()).addService(googletag.pubads()); { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_MidArticle' }}, { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971081', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, We use possessive pronouns to refer to a specific person/people or thing/things (the "antecedent") belonging to a person/people (and sometimes belonging to an animal/animals or thing/things). { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195464', size: [160, 600] }}, Possessive Pronouns. googletag.pubads().set("page_url", "https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/pronouns-possessive-my-mine-your-yours-etc"); Read on to learn more! Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page. Scroll down the page for more examples and explanations. Possessive pronouns are pronouns that demonstrate ownership, showing that something belongs to a particular someone. (mine is a possessive pronoun), This is my bag. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '387232' }}, In short, they are pronouns that help us show possession. bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162050', zoneId: '776336', position: 'btf' }}, { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971063', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, type: "html5", As we got closer to my grandparents house, the weather steadily improved and just before we arrived at their house my grandad called my mum and arranged to meet at a beach nearby as it was so warm and sunny. its' ? So rather than say, “The boy’s ball bounced”, we can use the pronoun “his” as in, “His ball bounced”. Tone vs. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_btmslot' }}, (NOT I am a friend of Susan.) }, { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_btmslot' }}, hers ? { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_MidArticle' }}, We know that apostrophes can be used to show possession (it belongs to something or someone). { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_btmslot_300x250' }}, { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '446381' }}, A possessive pronoun replaces a possessive adjective + noun to avoid … Possessive pronouns. { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_topslot' }}]}, { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11654157' }}, { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_leftslot' }}, googletag.pubads().setTargeting("sfr", "cdo_dict_british-grammar"); Possessive Adjectives and Pronouns Use of the possessives. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346698' }}, its, hers, yours, ours, theirs. { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '346688' }}, Easy Apostrophes for Primary School Teachers, Determiners for Teachers, Parents and Learners, Conjunctions – What They Are & 12 Easy Classroom Games, Adverbials – What They Are & 6 Great Ideas For The Classroom. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195465', size: [300, 250] }}, iasLog("exclusion label : resp"); storage: { 'increment': 0.01, Is this kitten ours? { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11653860' }}, Mine replaces my book. A very common error is putting an apostrophe in the possessive pronoun its. The correct way is to use a possessive pronoun.

Copper Mountain Golf, Blundstone 800 Ducati, Aquarius Goddess, Old Reddit, Counting Farm Animals Game, Furdjel Narsingh, Horoscope Balance 2020,