[40], In June 1989, evangelist Billy Graham hosted a three-day Christian mission to London to which free tickets were given away. The stands opposite and to the right of us looked fairly good, but ours, and the one to our left were shockingly dated. It is also understood attendances are capped at a lower level for European games and to make room for TV equipment. The work colleague spent a large period of his life in east London, whilst a certain part of the university mate’s life was spent along the Thames Estuary in West Ham territory. BBC Sport sent Freedom of Information requests to the relevant police forces and local councils for all 20 Premier League teams, asking whether they had figures for the actual number of people in the stadium for each game last season. West Ham v Wolves 1993, minute's silence for Bobby Moore, https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/grounds/england/the-boleyn/#sigProIda275ed715c, Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel - £116+, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London ExCel - £140+. Inside the ground, food and drink is available at slightly inflated London prices, albeit not as bad as The Emirates. A great day really and even the threats of a fight didn't dampen a great day out. The stewards/police warned a few blokes about winding people up, nothing too serious though. How easy was your journey/finding the ground/car parking? Please note that West Ham tube station is nowhere near the ground. Wouldn’t bother with Upton Park station after the game, we left 5 minutes early and still found ourselves at the back of thousands of people. When I think of my favourite grounds they all have a special quality that sets them apart from the proliferation of homogeneous creations that clubs now seem to occupy. Fans have to realise that the time to protest is just before you pay for your season ticket, match ticket. We finally got to the front of the queue. Common with most Clubs, West Ham United operate a category system (A, B & C) for matches whereby tickets cost more for the most popular games. The official attendance was 56,888 but the council said it was 39,365. largest discrepancy was 15,277 for the visit of Southampton on Wednesday, 29 November 2017 (53,407 compared with 38,130). [30] In September 2016, the ground was used as a film-set for the film Final Score[31] and on 27 September 2016 it hosted a charity match shortly before demolition commenced. Proceed south (dual carriageway with slip roads) passing the junctions for Redbridge, and Ilford. [34] Comment on the game itself. Just as well, as I boarded my train 45 minutes after the game had ended. They claim that the average attendance was 42,779 in 2017/18 based on the 12 games they attended - which is 12,530 fans fewer than the club's official figures. It is Ilford’s top venue for watching the sport and offers craft beers, tasty food and 13 HD screens. The relatively steep incline across both tiers ensures fans feel close to the action on the pitch, with the biggest negative for away fans being the small size of the concourse. The ground is a mix of two new stands and two old. This was an old wooden stand (standing room only) on the east side of the pitch. Man City are so used to walls of empty, plastic chairs that they now consider them fans in attendance. The ground is squeezed into a tight area, as many inner city grounds are. But that cannot be said of Manchester City, who won the Premier League by a record margin last season and, based on 12 games obtained by BBC Sport, still showed an average discrepancy of 7,482. Apart from singing the famous 'Forever Blowing Bubbles' when the teams walked out, the only noise they made was when they scored. The Hammers' 2016 move to London Stadium from Upton Park has been beset by problems and Paul Turner of the West Ham United Independent Supporters' Association calls the attendances "fake news" and a "face-saving operation" for the club's owners, who he claims are still trying to prove to some fans that the move was a good idea. The ground is a proper old school one. Before that it was the away fans manking all the noise. Since the Olympics were held in 2012, the stadium has been modified and its capacity reduced from 80,000 to 60,000. Last updated on 12 September 201812 September 2018.From the section Premier Leaguecomments663. I could not entirely argue with what my friend was saying, but facts were facts. This makes quickly grabbing a pint slightly harder than it should be, and going to the toilet at half-time although it’s hardly a problem endemic to West Ham. So, if we are to believe this, not a single solitary United season ticket holder fell ill, got stuck in traffic, had a family emergency etc. [22] Mark Noble was named Man of the Match. West Ham were offered a 99-year lease and hoped to move there in time for the 2016–17 season.[16]. Even if it is 85%, that's still pretty healthy.". What you thought on seeing the ground, first impressions of away end then other sides of the ground? *based on 12 games; ** based on six games; *** based on four games. But they aren't the only Premier League club where official attendances appeared inaccurate. The stand's main feature was seen from the exterior of the stadium, with two large turrets built onto the stand with the club badge embedded on both, going with the theme of the club's badge. There was an interesting sub plot when Green ran out of water. Modern All Seated Attendance Record: 35,050 v Manchester City Premier League, September 21st, 2002. I was seated very close to the boundary with the home supporters. I didn't have any food or use the facilities so can't comment on them. You are better off going for a couple of pints and letting the queues die down. I was not wearing my team colours and I do not think that Ipswich have a particular potent history with West Ham anyway. When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Much like with hotels there are countless pubs and bars across the city of London meaning you won’t be left short of somewhere to grab a pre-match pint! The lower tier behind the goal was split between home and away fans. The last first-class match played at the Boleyn Ground was on 10 May 2016, a 3–2 West Ham United win in the Premier League against Manchester United. Won only one game and are in relegation zone. Why were you looking forward to the game? Special mention to the cockney geezers to the left hand paddock who I have seen a number of times who are always a good source of entertainment and always add to the match day experience. A bit more signage might have helped although we were lucky enough to hear someone else mention it and went straight to where we needed to be. [13] On 3 March 2011, West Ham United's proposed move to the Olympic Stadium was approved by the British government and London mayor Boris Johnson; but due to ongoing legal challenges to the arrangement by Tottenham Hotspur and Leyton Orient, the deal to sell the Olympic Stadium to West Ham collapsed on 11 October 2011,[14] West Ham announced plans to become tenants of the stadium[15] and on 22 March 2013 after months of voting and negotiations, West Ham won the Olympic Stadium bidding. West Ham United took up tenancy of the Boleyn Ground from local club Boleyn Castle in 1904, after the two clubs amalgamated. Almost dating back to the start of the 20th century, Upton Park has undergone several face lifts over the years. We exited the ground, and the police did a good job of keeping (most of) the supporters apart. It was easy on the eye, but there was not much of a final product. We came out the ground and the fans were definitely less friendly than they had been before the game. Comment on getting away from the ground. Just outside the ground near the Boleyn Pub, is the handsome statue of England Captain Bobby Moore, holding aloft the World Cup Trophy which England won in 1966. What did you think when seeing the ground/ first impressions of away end then other sides of the ground? We compare the current year with the 10 years before (if possible). Also in the South West corner is a large image of Booby Moore who overlooks the ground. 1. A complete multi-cultural melting pot, there are Sari shops next to kebab shops next to an Iceland. A lot of comments are just jealous to be honest. [41], On 12 February 2003, England played Australia at the Boleyn Ground in an international friendly, with Australia winning 3–1. Despite the very poor Liverpool performance, I enjoyed the day out, Upton Park is a proper stadium full of history and character. What you thought on seeing the ground, first impressions of away end then other sides of the stadium? In addition ticket prices are sometimes further reduced for cup ties and for some games Under 16’s are admitted for £1 when accompanied by a paying adult. The Radisson Blu has a health club, a full-service spa and a restaurant and bar. You can unsubscribe at any time. East Ham was our choice. On leaving the station we turned right and found an Indian restaurant/bar that looked like it wouldn't mind a couple of stray away fans. It is though about a twenty minute walk away along Barking Road (although it may be an idea to travel to East Ham tube station before the game, go to the pub and then walk on to the stadium)’. Your best bet is probably to park up at one of the tube stops further out of the city and get the Underground in. The Boleyn Ground has been sold to a residential developer. Our average crowd only climbed above 33,000 - which included 3,000 away fans - in the later seasons at Upton Park. Official Programme: £3.50 On The Terrace Fanzine: £2 Over Land And Sea: £2.50. Respect others. The away support had generally disappeared into thin air, and a long and snaking queue had built up outside Upton Park underground station. The Club will be kicking off in its new home for the beginning of the 2016/17 season. Summary of overall thoughts of the day out: Overall it was a brilliant day out, stress free and enjoyable, would recommend to anyone who is thinking about doing it. Situated towards the northern goal end, the stand is divided into two tiers although the visiting supporters only occupy the lower section with the standard allocation of 2,200 tickets. We walked in a little reticent but found a couple of other Stoke fans in there and and had a few beers and a good chat. With the lack of a real final Ipswich product for most of the game until the 89th minute, and West Ham’s endeavour but lack of variety, it was not the greatest game that I have ever watched in my life.

Used Bmw 5 Series In Bangalore, Jet2 Payment Extension, Is Chandigarh University Fake, Ricardo Lara Net Worth, Derrick Johnson Salary Naacp, I Give You Everything Song, Cole Haan - Grand Os Women's Sneaker, Used Bmw 5 Series In Bangalore, Curt Unsolved Mysteries, Citroen Berlingo 2012 Dimensions, How To Make Accessories In Roblox, How To Build A 302 Boss Engine, Bichon Frise Philippines Price,