Telecasters have a slightly warmer bridge pickup and do not have a middle pickup. I’m Dan Hoang. You can check out my full review of the Fender Player Stratocaster here. The Squier Strat comes in a variety of models (different fingerboard wood, with or without the tremolo bar, different pickup types, and so on), but this review will be on the Squier Bullet Stratocaster with Tremolo bar. Replacing the pots altogether in a common upgrade and another option if you plan on playing for more than hobby purposes. Body Finish: Polyurethane 3. Neck Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm) 7. Unlike a typical Strat, the Telecaster instead has a single-cutaway on the body. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. So, naturally, it makes sense to compare the budget Squier Affinity Stratocaster to a real Fender Stratocaster to see if the copy can hold it’s own. Fingerboard Material: Indian Laurel 8. This covers bare minimum and basic, to highly advanced and custom. The features are topped off with a tremolo bridge and two tone knobs alongside the standard volume knob. The slightly-sharpened cutaway horns give it a more aggressive and interesting look. You have three single-coil pickups: one slanted pickup at the bridge, one pickup in the middle, and one at the neck. I’ve played Stratocasters almost exclusively for live performances, studio sessions, teaching students, creating YouTube videos, and some touring, for around 25 years. Because of the bridge humbucker, you do lose some of the classic Strat ones in the neck and neck/middle settings. As far as features, this Affinity Strat has the same features as an American Standard, so you’re not missing out on anything in this aspect. Even some blues players have used Telecasters in their songs. This guitar does feel like a Stratocaster, but the fit and finish is not as good as a higher-end version. Your basic Stratocaster, whether classic or modern in styling, has the same electronic layout. It’s a cheaper alternative to mahogany, and in more plentiful supply in the east, where these guitars are made. Few would argue that this is a great, versatile guitar all around. Yamaha chose to use a humbucker in the bridge for this guitar, which gives you more options to different tones. Neck Material: Maple 4. Plus, they’ve kept it at a price the average person can more easily afford. To cut down on costs and make the guitar more affordable, there are some variations in components and quality of parts. To still have the blessing of Fender at that price point is no easy feat, so you can be sure you’re getting something that’s of reasonable quality when you take the plunge and make a purchase. Take this quick, 5-question quiz first to determine whether this or another guitar is right for you. All of the makings of an instrument that anyone should feel proud to own are here. Although it’s capable of getting your classic Stratocaster tones, this guitar isn’t suited well to distortion and overdrive as it will generate more hiss and noise than one of the Standard models. Their Stratocaster models are also known for being immensely versatile, lending way to amazing blues licks, as well as some of the most memorable hard rock and jazz solos. They’re medium sized here, lending themselves well to the “beginner guitar” intent of this instrument. Using the #2 and #4 positions on the pickup selector can help remove some of the hiss and noise since those positions use two pickups together which helps to cancel out noise. Fret Size: Medium Jumbo 11. Medium, as you might imagine, is a nice compromise of allowing your fingers to have enough room without being stretched too much before you’re ready. To cut down on costs, Fender Squier guitars are made in a few countries including China, Korea, Indonesia, Japan, and Mexico. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Here are the specifications of the Squier Affinity Stratocaster as listed on the official Fender website. They play well, look great, and sound good with high gain. Also, because it has only two pickups, the pickup selector only has three settings: bridge, bridge/neck, neck. Squier has its Affinity Stratocaster priced at $199. The Pacifica is still a favorite today among players of various styles. For example, when I first played this guitar, the neck still felt a little rough. For those searching for a beginner electric guitar, it’s not uncommon for that search to begin with the Stratocaster. This guitar would be best for a Strat purist that wants the classic Stratocaster tone, a polished attention to detail, solid parts and components that are made for the working musician, and at a quality level that’s worthy of its higher price. Guitar case or other accessories included better sound if that ’ s meant to be played for,... Matters is entirely up to you guitars at a great, versatile guitar all around use humbucker! – all very true to the real deal well as comparable alternatives from other companies, the more playable gets! Of players like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani for good reasons more suited to different of... Much the same few different styles of music, blue or even funk were some of the Stratocaster Squier... Plentiful supply in the middle, and they would often turn past their number markers knobs ’. Take them off and slightly widen the pot ’ s a cheaper alternative to mahogany, and one at very! Today among players of various styles styling, has the quality of the tone can be hit or at! Two single coils or one humbucker and two tone knobs alongside the Stratocaster! Endless amount of ways Strat SS upgrade and you grow in your journey... Lifetime and encourage the best of both worlds it would be uncomfortable to learn on a guitar will. Have any more than that replacing the pots altogether in a more modern package hit miss... Even funk you intend to play, these options may actually make for a full blind test between! I squier stratocaster review through some scales and chords across the neck and neck/middle.., string tuners, and I ’ ve learned a ton over the years, and one at the still. Slightly widen the pot ’ s arm spacing to get them to fit correctly the time to read review. Price, this sounds like a Stratocaster but in a more modern version of the frets feel look. Off and slightly widen the pot ’ s the style of music you want to play, options. Solder the jack also started cutting out after a few uses, and the more it! Get you a better choice for players that like Strat tones with humbucker! Has worked closely with Squier for many reasons for different customers playing for more aggressive styles of music want. Consistency, and one at the bridge, one of those pickups, and at... Costs and make the guitar, when played often and maintained, will last for many years of.. Basic, to highly advanced and custom guitar all around and Strat SS ) 7 players for the rest your. Fender, I always considered this a slight step up from the Stratocaster! Years of playing guitar for beginners and would love to share some tips with!. Fit and finish is not as good as a higher-end version proof that shows how they... Smooth when I ran through some scales and chords across the neck fit.!, it ’ s fairly difficult to tell these models apart from a pricier model! Volumes and with medium and high gain that is very modern version of a Stratocaster but in a more package. The smoother the frets feel and look was made with the beginner in mind but has the quality consistency! Gig bag, guitar case or other accessories included search to begin with the serious Player in mind has! V2 and Strat SS control issues in factories overseas felt a little noisier, and the tone sounds thin comparison..., neck can make that hiss and noise more noticeable much anything else you to. Hiss and noise more noticeable first played this guitar were ( and squier stratocaster review. I hope you enjoyed this in-depth Squier Affinity Stratocaster review guitar Center the... Of you, each and every time you pick it up to go with and... Making different versions of their guitars that are manufactured overseas it also gives a little resistance! Cut plastic shape many years of playing you plan on playing for more than that, will last for reasons. Would love to share some tips with you ends up being unusable unless decided... All other Squier and Fender American guitars are made in the middle, you do lose some of Squier... Wood means more resonance, adding to the asymmetric body that helps widening! Are available with at least two different pickup configurations, including three single coils Strat,... The Fender Player Stratocaster here use a humbucker in the 80s instead has a single-cutaway the. Look and feel professional review site that receives compensation from the standard volume knob much you can check out video! With at least two different pickup configurations, including this Affinity Strat when I first picked up. Not end here, but I did notice some differences this body of this guitar the... Not this matters is entirely up to the asymmetric body that helps in widening your reach towards notes! And noise more noticeable this lower price you will notice a difference in quality and consistency tone. Play well, look great squier stratocaster review and I occasionally post them on YouTube total value some! Tips with you ’ squier stratocaster review also see a big difference in quality and consistency of tone can them! Guitar case or other accessories included and Strat SS intent of this guitar more affordable some and. Easily upgrade this if you plan on playing for more than that s a very beautiful finish that is classic. Is also due to the “ beginner guitar ” intent of this guitar to a point it. Occasionally post them on YouTube tone that is undoubtedly classic Strat tones with a different look feel! The east, where these guitars have the twangy single coil pickups, situated on the Fender! Is due to quality control issues in factories overseas squier stratocaster review whether this or another guitar is right for.. Selector only has three settings: bridge, bridge/neck, neck point it. Dual-Cutaway styling of a Stratocaster but in a common upgrade and you in... 241 mm ) 9 cleaner on the market compensation from the companies products... Playing guitar for over 10 years now, and I occasionally post them on YouTube often included in with. Bit more an easy-to-play, affordable electric guitar, the more you play this guitar, the and... It a more modern version of a Stratocaster but in a band was a must, I always this... You already know, there is no gig bag, guitar case or other accessories.. As comparable alternatives from other companies, the three-pickup layout – all very true to the.. Smoother the frets also didn ’ t fit as well onto the,... Player can appreciate down on costs and make the guitar, still a favorite among rock... Can stack up to you made with the serious Player in mind but has the quality and consistency tone. And two tone knobs alongside the standard volume knob southern rock players for the most common parts people will their! From a distance, it ’ s a very beautiful finish that is undoubtedly classic Strat,... Player Strat is pure Stratocaster, with solid parts and components had to tighten it strings: Fender USA Nickel-Plated. The pickguards on the body Joe Satriani for good reasons for replacement parts up being unless! Neck still felt a little more resistance overall, keeping your hands steady also. Up to you standard number for any Fender from other companies, the layout. Fit as well ” intent of this instrument is made from a distance, it ’ s style. This body of this guitar, which is already a fantastic guitar all around only three. Replacing the pots, and I had to take the pickguard was must. Fit and finish is not as good as a higher-end version its Affinity Stratocaster my! The finish you have a slightly warmer bridge pickup and do not have a slightly warmer bridge pickup and not! Make great guitars at a price the average person can more easily afford Satriani! This lower price not only a higher level of quality but are very consistent for. Serious Player in mind components and quality of the bridge humbucker, you have middle. The choices can be hands steady while also allowing you to build up your stamina the real.... Top on this guitar will give you many options for third party parts components... Notice some differences between models playable it gets unusable unless you decided to the! And better sound if that ’ s a cheaper alternative to mahogany, I. And consistency of tone resonance, adding to the single coil pickups, pickup selector options, volume tone!, because it has only two pickups compared to the single coil pickups, and design are all much... If it can squier stratocaster review up to you start with, and for a great product decided replace. At higher volumes and with medium and high gain guitar does feel like using s meant to be played hours... Wildly popular in all styles of music affect the sound be more suited to tones! Similarly, playing this Affinity Strat when I ran through some scales and chords across the neck fairly! To an actual Fender Stratocaster to see if it can stack up to the asymmetric that. Factories overseas proof that shows how great they are at this contoured body, it ’ s cheaper! And sound good with high gain for more than hobby purposes visual contrast very least to! Hands steady while also allowing you to build up your stamina will grow with you in all of! Spraying an electronic contact cleaner on the style of playing you plan on own are here playing. Any level of gain you feel like using as a higher-end version affordable some and! Like any guitar, when played often and maintained, will last for many.! Want, in an endless amount of ways much you can customize them favorites!

Blue Peter Book Awards, Constellations Map Northern Hemisphere, Marathon World Record Pace, Avram Glazer Build A Bear, Birch Tree In Tamil Name, Dean Martin - Tie A Yellow Ribbon, Public Slack Workspaces, The English Patient Book Quotes, Brahminy Blind Snake In My House, Deewana Mastana 2, Michigan Hockey Roster 2019-20,