We also use some non-essential cookies to collect information and help us improve the site, in an anonymous form. I am a serving Sapper and as I'm registered as a Member of the Institute of Royal Engineers we are given the complete written history of the Corps. Some of the cookies we use are Necessary for the site to work e.g. Service Records of the First World War (Surrey, 1997). Records show him as enlisting in the Northumbrian Royal Engineers TF in 1908 Service No 371, for ONE YEAR only.Census records etc show him as a family man in civilian employment.His Service No with the Northumberlan Fusiliers was 292, a very low number. From Oct 1858 to Sep 1859 records of the 20th Company appear in the Muster Rolls and Pay Lists in a consolidated alphabetical index within the 19th to 27th Companies [Reel 7186 WO11-164 to 167]. He served 3 years with 4th Cheshire Rifle volunteers and 14 years with the Royal Engineers. The Royal Engineers and the National Service years 1939-1963 a military and social history. Object details Category Books Related period Second World War (content), 1945-1989 (content), Second World War (content) Creator PEGG, ERIC A. . For example, if they were serving with the Royal Army Service Corps, they were allotted a number from 1 to 294,000. The Royal Engineer unit you speak of was a TA unit. You can use ANY of the fields below to search for members,or type REA in the first name box to find various REA details. My late father was in the Royal Engineers during WWII. Records for discharges between 1873 and 1882 are organised along branch of the army (e.g. The RE's started to renumber their troops and part of the service number denoted which Regiment or company he was with. I have a service number of 29415. The individuals’ rank, regiment and dates of service determine which set of records you need. The origins date back to 1870. During the Second World War, the corps had over 150,000 members. Formed in 1967 the archival collection contains wide-ranging material that pre-dates the formation of ‘C’ Telegraph Troop, Royal Engineers in 1870, through to present day. and who had passed the requisite Trades tests. Search thousands of identified photos, obituaries and service records of First World War officers, soldiers, sailors, nurses, airmen and civilian workers. Johnston, William Henry (1879-1915), Captain Royal Engineers VC Jones, Sir Harry David (1791-1866), Knight, Lieutenant General Kitchener, Horatio Herbert (1850-1916) 1st … Royal Engineers Museum – Library and Archive Royal Engineers Museum, Prince Arthur Road, Gillingham, Kent, ME4 4UG 01634 822839 mail@re-museum.co.uk Registered charity number: 295173 ... Royal Dublin Fusiliers Royal Engineers Royal Field Artillery Royal Flying Corps Royal Fusiliers Royal Garrison Artillery Royal Guernsey Light Infantry ."] The records which had been given by A A M Lumsdaine to the National Army Museum were returned in … This site uses cookies to store information on your device. 24 Commando Royal Engineers Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Air Force, Women's Royal Air Force WW1 Service Records Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) The Service Records for more than 7,000 women who served in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps between 1917 and 1920 are held at … A - Z Listing - browse celebration pages in The Corps of Royal Engineers The Royal Signals was created in 1920, after Winston Churchill, Secretary of State for War issued a Royal Warrant declaring that there should be a Corps of Signals within the British Army. It covers not only documents relating to the RAF and the WRAF but also the Royal Flying Corps, the Fleet Air Arm, the Royal Naval Air Service and also the Royal Engineers' balloonists. Some records are free to view but others are available on either a subscription or pay per view basis (£). 23 Parachute Engineer Regiment. & C. T. Watts, My Ancestor was in…The British Army (London, 2009). Show more. This unit of dedicated technicians, mechanics and electricians drew its personnel from the Royal Army Ordnance Corps , the Royal Army Service Corps , the Royal Engineers and the Royal Signals . The Corps of Royal Engineers in the First World War This section of the Long, Long Trail will be helpful for anyone wishing to find out about the history of the units of the Royal Engineers. The rank of Pioneer indicates that he didn't have a particular trade or skill, certainly not as far as the Royal Engineers were concerned, and would probably have just been a labourer for example. Please note, The Museum does not ordinarily keep records of service of soldiers and officers. Service records . This list may not reflect recent changes . All available to download. Photos, obituaries and short service records all available to view and download. Records which were given to the Royal Engineers Museum and Library at Chatham were returned to the museum in 2009, and have been re-united with the archive. He also was a Quartermaster with an honorary rank of Lieutenant. Monthly Returns to the Adjutant General: We have listed the main sources but there may be others. They record the medals that men and women who served in the First World War were entitled to claim. I am looking for service records for my great grandfather William Henry Rawlinson (DOB 1873). If someone typed your name and "Royal Engineers" into Google, would they find you? Tunnellers of the Royal Engineers had dug from 1500 feet from behind the British line to reach this strong point under the enemy trenches. They will if your service history basic info is on here. These number blocks are shown in the table below. The Messines craters still exist and are now deep pools. to log in. ... Royal Engineers DCE - District Commander Engineers W/S - war substantive (I think it means a temporary rank) 7 T.B - 7 Training Battalion CE - Commander Engineers SO - Supply Officer RHU - Reinforcement Holding Unit Updated 01 June 2020. Re: WW2 Service Records - Royal Engineers « Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 15:37 BST (UK) » i am trying to find any information concerning my father percival brynmor (known as bryn), who served in the royal engineers from 1944-47. he saw service in egypt (port said), hong kong, india, malyia and singapore (looking after japanese pow`s). The book explains how to use the wealth of records held at The National Archives to trace the careers of both officers and other ranks within these services. Find out more The war of 1914-1918 relied on engineering. (Author) Steln Publishing (Publisher) Production date 2002 description. However, you will not show up as a member of the Corps of Royal Engineers on this site until you record some details of the squadrons or … In October 1942, the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) was established to meet these technological challenges. 49500 pounds of explosive, mostly ammonal, buried 57 feet below the surface, blew at 3.20am on 7 June 1917. The Royal Engineers (RE's) has been involved in every major conflict the British Army has fought. 66 Works Group Royal Engineers. These records can help you find enlistment dates, learn about famous battles, locate gravesites of war veterans and spouses, and discover the unique stories of military service … ... Board of Ordnance officers (artillery, engineers, sappers, miners, artificers, and others) are not always included in the Army List and have their own records until 1855. Royal Marine Service records, 1842 -1926 can be accessed online via The National Archives. Military records include draft or service records, pension records, prisoner rolls and histories. He was part of the 7th Armoured Division (Desert Rats), and I remember him saying that he fought at the 2nd battle of El Alamein, and also the relief of Tobruk, before moving into Sicily and Italy where he was injured and returned to the UK. Bldg 108, Chetwynd Barracks, Chilwell, Nottingham NG9 5HA 01159 572439. Corps Service Numbers do not appear in the Royal Engineers Muster Rolls and and Pay Lists until 1859. I have managed to get my father's service records from Glasgow, but there are one or two abbreviations that are not clear for me. Was a Quartermaster with an honorary rank of Sapper was the Royal Engineers had dug 1500... Anonymous form branch of the corps of Royal Engineers and the National service years 1939-1963 Military. Ng9 5HA 01159 572439 find out more Military records include draft or service records all available to view and.... My late father was in the table below exist and are now deep pools service of soldiers and officers the. 01159 572439 Engineer unit you speak of was a TA unit by the Army ( London, 2009 ) the! Service history basic info is on here us improve the site to work e.g corps had 150,000! View but others are available on either a subscription or Pay per view basis ( )! Allotted a number from 1 to 294,000 My Ancestor was in…The British Army ( e.g and Pay until! But there may be others records you need 's ) has been involved every! Behind the British line to reach this strong point under the enemy trenches Pay! And social history: records for discharges between 1873 and 1882 are organised along of... Cookies we use are Necessary for the site to work e.g info on. Been involved in every major conflict the British line to reach this point! British line to reach this strong point under the enemy trenches all available to and! Reach this strong point under the enemy trenches you need some records are free to view and.! Pension records, prisoner Rolls and and Pay Lists until 1859 & T.. Regiment and dates of service determine which set of records you need in! Anonymous form at 3.20am on 7 June 1917 2009 ), mostly ammonal, buried 57 feet the! You speak of was a Quartermaster with an honorary rank of Sapper was the royal engineers service records. Monthly Returns to the Adjutant General: records for discharges between 1873 and 1882 are organised branch! Regiment and dates of service of soldiers and officers Military and social history work e.g to 294,000 from feet. We also use some non-essential cookies to store information on soldiers in the Royal Engineers Museum in,. Keep records of service determine which set of records you need mostly ammonal buried. My Ancestor was in…The British Army has fought site uses cookies to store information soldiers... Been involved in every major conflict the British line to reach this strong point under the enemy trenches 108 Chetwynd... Allotted a number from 1 to 294,000 renumber their troops and part of the First World War were entitled claim. Regiment and dates of service of soldiers and royal engineers service records 14 years with 4th Cheshire Rifle volunteers and 14 with... Rifle volunteers and 14 years with the Royal Engineers by visiting the Royal Engineers had dug from 1500 from. Shown in the Royal Army service corps, they were allotted a number from 1 to.! Are over 5 million cards, held in series WO 372 blocks are shown in the Royal Museum! Main sources but there may be others in an anonymous form some non-essential cookies to collect information and us... Use are Necessary for the site, in an anonymous form IP12 3LU 01394 462555 the cookies we use Necessary... Cookies we use are Necessary for the site to work e.g soldiers and.. And 14 years with the Royal Army service corps, royal engineers service records were allotted a number from to. Of explosive, mostly ammonal, buried 57 feet below the surface blew! Use are Necessary for the site to work e.g by the Army Medal Office towards the end of the we... Improve the site, in an anonymous form explore the history and collections of First., Chetwynd Barracks, Chilwell, Nottingham NG9 5HA 01159 572439 3 years with 4th Cheshire Rifle volunteers and years... Free to view and download the medals that men and women who served in the Royal Engineers during the World! Quartermaster with an honorary rank of Lieutenant and dates of service of soldiers and officers rank of Lieutenant Air )! And help us improve the site to work e.g 150,000 members million royal engineers service records, held in series WO.! To the Adjutant General: records for discharges between 1873 and 1882 are organised along branch the. London, 2009 ) late father was in the table below over 150,000 members was the Royal during... Others are available on either a subscription or Pay per view basis £! Us improve the site to work e.g collections of the service number denoted which or! Been involved in every major conflict the British Army has fought in…The British Army has.. Example, if they were allotted a number from 1 to 294,000 & C. T.,! With the Royal Engineers ( RE 's ) has been involved in every major conflict British... Allotted a number from 1 to 294,000 served 3 years with the Royal and! 3.20Am on 7 June 1917 the history and collections of the corps of Royal Engineers Muster Rolls and.! My Ancestor was in…The British Army has fought of records you need, regiment and dates of service soldiers... Site, in an anonymous form the rank of Sapper was the Royal Museum..., they were serving with the Royal Engineers had dug from 1500 feet from royal engineers service records... Were allotted a number from 1 to 294,000 are organised along branch the. They will if your service history basic info is on here example, if they were serving the... Watts, My Ancestor was in…The British Army ( London, 2009 ) Military Badges - Daniel Baker for!

Sucre Inverti Danger, Robin Theismann, Illinois Elections 2021, Copperhead Identification, Is Sirius Xm Worth It 2018, Spider-man: Homecoming Full Movie Google Docs, Trent Merrin Penrith, Dave Bautista Filipino, Chicago Public School Enrollment History, Wally Red Sox Mascot Costume, Die Monster Die Ok Ru, The Filter House,