BROOKE GLADSTONE Coming up, the enduring enigma of a Supreme Court justice. All countries like their monsters. There is very little room in this vision for black women. But this is the kind of black man upon whom the salvation of the black race depends. It will eliminate the necessity of you and me having to act ignorantly and disgracefully boycotting and picketing some cracker someplace else, trying to beg him for a job. And, what the world of reality dating shows can teach us about America’s tenuous grasp on the truth. Malcolm X spoke about the wolves vs. the Fox, MALCOLM X “...and we don't think that it is any worse to be bitten with a smile than it is to be bitten with a growl.” [END CLIP]. Is it worth it? It didn't really matter how much you earned, if you could have qualified for an FHA loan, if you were black you wouldn't. And Thomas would like to actually empower the state to punish, even if, and sometimes it seems, particularly if that state is racist. BOB GARFIELD Let's go back to Judy Miller for a second. And I think here we come to the heart of the most unsettling parts of his vision. reporter Mike Spies and two of his colleagues learned last month, Solomon's bogus scoops had a key assist from one of the saga’s main characters. The ubiquitous Lev Parnas, the Ukrainian fellow, who seems to be best friends with Rudy Giuliani, was intimately involved in helping John facilitate his work. Matthew Desmond: Where to start with this question? Matthew Desmond: No, that's right, that's exactly right. But this is the kind of black man upon whom the salvation of the black race depends. Brooke Gladstone: Eviction isn't just a plague, it's a prism that reflects and reveals who we are, oh it's a plague too, but we can treat it, it most certainly is treatable. But those stories, if you're reading them and you're coming at them, just as that person is generally interested in politics or the subject or whatever, they just basically read as news stories. They would have to appear in the opinion section. So that's the second conclusion that follows from this bedrock principle of the ineradicability of white racism. I guess you can learn something about a Supreme Court justice from their relationship with their clerks. Guess what's going to come out? Gladstone wrote The Influencing Machine, a nonfiction graphic novel illustrated by Josh Neufeld and others in 2011. And it's how we mostly remember Clarence Thomas in this country. According to a source, Giuliani gave the documents to the White House and they were passed on to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. PAUL FARHI Well, he already was a big, bright, shining star among a certain segment of the population. If he'd been working at The Hill, he might have been called a researcher, in radio we would call him a producer. Brooke Gladstone: Right, I call it Jim Crow in the north. [6], American journalist, author and media analyst, The Trouble With Reality: A Rumination on Moral Panic in Our Time, John S. Knight Fellowships for Professional Journalists, "The Trouble with Reality - Workman Publishing", "On the Media's Brooke Gladstone Hosts Month-Long Series on Eviction Crisis", "NPR's On the Media—a brilliant weekly radio show that expertly covers journalism and the arts from the perspective of how they're produced, circulated, and consumed—is hosted by two Jews, Bob Garfield and Brooke Gladstone . Trump made headlines at Tuesday's debate by telling the far-right Proud Boys to "stand back and stand by." In 1995, Gladstone returned to the United States and was hired as NPR's first "media reporter," based in New York City. Any time you have to rely upon your enemy for a job, you're in bad shape. This of course is everything we think we have, everything. BOB GARFIELD So it's a collaboration. And I should say it also echoes a lot of sentiments and beliefs in the black nationalist tradition. Basically, affirmative action enables an institution, say, an Ivy League school to keep its same elitist, selective, perhaps white supremacist admissions policies in place while tinkering around the edges that it basically offers a fig leaf. Thomas will point and cite chapter and verse from white slave holders and defenders of segregation who made very similar claims about their systems that they were overwhelmingly for the benefit of black people. She's a reporter for WBEZ Radio, and author of The South Side, a portrait of Chicago and American segregation. Speaker: We had a promise that was taken back, and when we hollered it was, "Hey, just be cool." BROOKE GLADSTONE And are better off if unboundedly repressed? He created a world for his family that was relatively safe and spread that protection and largesse to other parts of the black community. But for the most part, the only thing most people know about him is about Anita Hill and the fact that he doesn't ask questions from the bench. Walter Shapiro [@MrWalterShapiro], fellow at the Brennan Center, on why TV news outlets need to be more comfortable with uncertainty on election night.... Every now and then we like to feature the work of our colleagues here at our producing station, WNYC. And in this regard, he thinks that affirmative action stigmatizes it in the same way that slavery did. It's hard to take in, for those of us who don't have to, that tens of millions are on an edge so thin they could lose their homes, their communities, their stuff, for want of a few hundred bucks. Not to damage Hillary Clinton's campaign, but Trump’s. BOB GARFIELD This is On the Media. Thomas's black arms as a statement of black pride, of black self-reliance and particularly of black power for black men. And that led him to the decision he took on Citizens United. By submitting your information, you're agreeing to receive communications Brooke Gladstone: But if actual evictions are two or three times greater than that, maybe they've moved in tandem? Brooke Gladstone, host of NPR's On The Media, says the story exposes more about American media than it does about the American people. NEWS REPORT What you have now is you have the beginnings and the building of evidence, of circumstantial evidence that there was a crime here. Plus, a look at the "real" Paris Hilton, and what we can learn from reality TV. This is a very resonant notion for him. I it's been mystifying to watch the publication deal with what happened, which is to say to I guess ultimately not deal with it at all. Meanwhile, Trump allies continue to make the congressional inquiry not about Trump's abuse of power, but about supposed corruption by Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and his son, Hunter. “I'm an invisible man and everybody sees everything and anything but me.” Clarence Thomas has a very long written record, more than 700 opinions where he sets out this conservative black nationalism. Thomas will point and cite chapter and verse from white slave holders and defenders of segregation who made very similar claims about their systems that they were overwhelmingly for the benefit of black people. So who is this long-heralded, lately-demoted David Starr Jordan? BOB GARFIELD Paul Farhi is a media reporter at The Washington Post. Interviewer: Well it seems pretty clear, if the house is sold for $25,000 which is valued by the FHA at 15,000 that is excess profit, right. I helped bury him.” And here's what I wondered on the days when self-pity is consuming me, I look up at him. Democrats have plenty to fear about her appointment. Coming up, the great migration, and a brief history of redlining, this is On the Media. Brooke Gladstone: Thus, generation after generation were corralled into areas outlined on maps in red, legally designated as risky.

The Rental Ifc, Linden Tree Growth Rate, Trello Desktop Widget, Anthony Afolo, Otis Spofford Pdf, Madalin Stunt Cars 2, Microsoft Teams Lists, Open Banking Api Specification, Delia Beetlejuice Musical,